5 month old buff orpington

brandy6375

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 14, 2018
Michigan
my 5 month old buff orpinton out of the blue started attacking my dogs. The chickens grew up with the dogs from day one, they have always got along. The birds free range daily the dogs are NEVER out without supervision, never any kind of dog aggression. I've watched one bird she started by picking on the the most timid dog
( who will no longer go outside if the birds are out) now she/he (I'm still not sure, no eggs no crowing) will lower its head and run across the yard to jump on and grab a sleeping dog. The birds still so young I'm afraid it will only get worst, any suggestions? I love my birds but my dogs are my babies so if I have to choose the dogs will win, Space isnt the issue we live on 8 acres and 100's of acres of state land around us. I have a chicken barn thats 20x 12 no dogs allowed (unless I'm in there, we keep the main doors closed). I'm just confused Ive never had a bird attacking the dogs. any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It happens. Usually, it's the dogs doing the attacking, but chickens can also feel threatened and go on the attack. Separation of the two species is the only solution other than getting rid of your chickens.

How do the dogs react?
It's too bad they can't 'gently' show the bird who is boss.
This will likely continue.
Might have to keep birds confined.

How do the dogs react?
It's too bad they can't 'gently' show the bird who is boss.
This will likely continue.
Might have to keep birds confined.
One dog will not go in the yard if the birds are out and the other will go but comes running to me if the birds start running toward her.

I have a chicken that attacked the dogs unprovoked when she was broody. The dogs now give her a wide berth. We called her grumpy chicken for the duration. Maybe she's getting ready to lay? Also maybe post a pic in case you have a rooster?

Back
Top Bottom