5 Month old cockerel still hanging right around mom

KCD

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
I had a broody hen hatch out 2 eggs over the summer. One was lost to a predator at about 2 months. The remaining chick, that ended up being a cockerel, would never leave mama’s side after that. At about 4 months old she started leaving him behind and would forage with the other big girls but after he cried for her long enough, she’d come back to him. When she’d go out to forage, he’d just follow and she let him. He slept “under” her (really only under her wing because he was the same size as her) for a long time when she returned to the roost. He started sleeping in the nesting box for about a week or so (I think after he wouldn’t fit under her wing anymore) and the other girls do push him around. He’s back on the roost again and always next to mom. When everyone is out foraging, he still stays with her. If she stays with the group, so does he. If she breaks away from the group and goes elsewhere, so does he. I haven’t ever seen her chase him and she share treats with him all the time. He also still has not crowed yet and he’s over 5 months. I’m not sure he knows he’s not a hen. He’s afraid of all the other hens, except mom, and runs away from them. He lets my kids and I handle him though. Is this normal behavior? We’ve never had good luck with roosters but we’ve also never had one raised by a broody either. This one’s dad is very friendly (I got eggs from a friend so dad does not live here) but apparently all of his offspring have not been friendly and all were culled for aggression. Just wondering thoughts on our little mama’s boy!!!

well he didnt grow up in a normal group so he's going to have some social issues lol .. but he's still a teenager in chicken years .. probably around 7-8 months he'll start manning up more and will probably take longer than that for him to play a real dominant role in the flock ..

well he didnt grow up in a normal group so he's going to have some social issues lol .. but he's still a teenager in chicken years .. probably around 7-8 months he'll start manning up more and will probably take longer than that for him to play a real dominant role in the flock ..
So do you think it will just take him a bit longer to socially mature? I’m perfectly fine with him not crowing for the time being! Haha!

Awww...he sounds sweet. I've not had the same experience as you, but nothing sounds abnormal or anything to be concerned about. Can you update in the next couple of months? With pics?

I have a cockrell following his mom still too. I don't know how old he is but old enough for me to distinguish as male. The weird part is that she is one our main rooster's ladies, and the main rooster seems to not care at all that the cockrell follows (effectively) him and his ladies around. 😅

But careful being excited about no crow. That makes the crowing come faster. 😋

Just a teen aged mama's boy unsure around the big girls. Testosterone will kick in, they will make him behave, and hopefully he will mature into a worthy flock leader. Nothing unusual here.

Awww...he sounds sweet. I've not had the same experience as you, but nothing sounds abnormal or anything to be concerned about. Can you update in the next couple of months? With pics?
Yes, I will be sure to update with any changes!

I have a cockrell following his mom still too. I don't know how old he is but old enough for me to distinguish as male. The weird part is that she is one our main rooster's ladies, and the main rooster seems to not care at all that the cockrell follows (effectively) him and his ladies around. 😅

But careful being excited about no crow. That makes the crowing come faster. 😋
I was worried actually putting it in writing would induce it...but thankfully still no crowing! 😆

Our last rooster was ridiculous! He was very good with us and the girls (until one day he wasn’t and went after some pullets, killing one) so we tolerated the non-stop crowing... until that day. That was the end of him and his incessant crowing. All our other roosters were mean out of the gate or a predator got them. Hope this guy makes the cut!

Back
Top Bottom