5 month old roo died for no apparent reason

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nomad3d, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nomad3d

nomad3d New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    We have a small backyard flock of mixed breeds. We go out every night and feed them and talk to them and we had one roo, a barred rock. He was healthy as could be last evening and this after noon when I came home he was dead in the coop. There was no blood, no apparent injuries. His comb and waddle were almost totally black though and when he was alive they were a nice red. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Sorry about your loss [​IMG] , could have been a heart attack. Was there any foam or anything coming from his mouth? Was he unusually puffed up? Short of a chicken autopsy though, it's all just speculation.

3. nomad3d

nomad3d New Egg

Jul 20, 2011
    Quote:No, there was nothing unusual other than the color of his comb and waddle. No foaming, no bloating... looked like he just laid down and died. Just was weird to me that one day he's healthy and happy and the next day he's dead. [​IMG] He was my fav too.

4. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Sorry you lost your favorite roo Nomad! Back in February I lost one of my favorite hens and were not quite sure why, we suspect a possible stroke. Hugs to you.

5. jfaith51

jfaith51 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry. I had a young rooster die so I took it to have a necropsy done. He died from gout! He had too much protein. I have never had another chicken, hen or rooster, die from gout.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Farmer_Dan, possible heart failure due to the color of comb and wattles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by