5 months no egg. do i have four males? PICS

Are they crowing? Cot roo's have a very loud, very distinct "LOOK AT ME" Crow...*lol* And they have an incredibly high sex drive, if there were three males and one female, she would have no feathers on her head or back at all...Cot males also have a bulbous vent that will excrete foam when gently squeezed.

NOT IF THEY ARENT GETTING ENOUGH LIGHT...

well they all live together and no one fights, but there were outside in a large avairy (3 meters square and 2 meters tall),with no extra light. but the silly birds hide inside all day in the dark and came out at night, so they had very little light. but now i have moved them inside into a 1 meter sq cage, they have light from 6 in the morning till 10 at night, and they have been inside for a week now. and it is 10 degree C in the garage.
so i have four quail and one partridge in this cage and every one gets along just fine, and im not to sure of the sex of the partridge either, because i got it as a breeding pair and well one escaped, so now i have just one partridge. and the five of them live happily together.

pictures number 1,3,and 4 they all rest together snuggled up in the corner and number 2 all ways chills with the partridge, so that makes me think that number 2 is a male and the Partridge is a female. Maybe i will have a funky new breed of bird A Quailtridge or a Puail...what do you think?

but if it was four male quail wouldnt they have fights? but by the same token if they are all males then maybe i wouldnt because they have an uneasy truse?

thanks again for the help

IN ADDITION TO LIGHT, WARMTH IS NEEDED. ADD A HEAT LAMP AND SOME BRIGHT LIGHT AND YOU WILL SEE A BIG DIFFERENCE. ALSO FEED A 28-30% PROTEIN FEED. THIS INFO IS FROM MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH MY QUAIL.

OK, the first one is most likely a hen. #2 looks more like a roo. #3 is a roo. #4 looks like a roo but would need a better picture. The booboo on his head could very well be flushing injury or he got whooped proper. If you have them outside and it is that cold the primary thing missing is light. You need to get them over 14 hours of light for them to lay. Mine are laying right now with 12 hours of light and 18 degree lows, highs in the 20's, so warmth isn't such a big deal. The reason I have them at 12 hours is I am trying to get them to stop laying, so I am cutting their light back an hour every four days. JJMR794 is probably your best bet for info, but if you want eggs you are going to need light.

As far as the foam concept goes, don't trust it. If a roo has bred a hen that hen can expel foam for a couple days after. The hen can stay inseminated for up to a week after being mounted. Vent sexing is a better bet.

There are two almost certain traits about coturnix:
If it crows: roo
If it lays an egg: hen

The first one is definately a female. The second one can be a female, I have hens that look like that. Check the bum and see if there is a bulbous gland. Some females are males at times but 99.9999999% of the time foam out of the gland means male. The last one looks like he banged the cage a bit. Check the vents. Do you hear crowing at all?

ETA: sometimes the cold temps will delay egg laying. I see a female in there so just keep watching them.

Last edited:
First: FEMALE FOR SURE!
Second: Female
Third: Female
Fourth: Male

The reason I say that is the colour is that of females. They also have that bib on them.
Cheers

Damion

First: FEMALE FOR SURE!
Second: Female
Third: Female
Fourth: Male

The reason I say that is the colour is that of females. They also have that bib on them.
Cheers

Damion

Back
Top Bottom