5 Pipped

Two more have hatched now, I'm sad that my kids are in school and missing this. I did some video for them. I hope the rest wait until we are all home tonight. Busy evening of activities.
Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
We now have 6 of 13 resting in their brooder awaiting the rest of the gang. Number 7 is zipping at this moment. This is so fun. More pics tomorrow.

I have a question... one that was born at 10:30 last night has some gunk stuck on its bottom. I noticed it when it hatched but thought it would come off. It's hard and stuck on, do I need to act immediately, give it time?
Thanks for your help.

Congrats on such a great hatch so far! I'm not sure on the gunk. Is this gunk it hatched with, or is it already moved to the brooder and is starting to get pasty butt?

My first pipped early this morning, I heard it peeping inside the egg when I was checking incubator temp before heading to work, and I could see the pip right on top. This is first egg from my own hens to be hatched, I cant wait to see. I have only incubated 1 other time, on shipped eggs, got 2 of 8. This time I did 9 from my own hens(2 red sex links) and my roo(EE, parents were pure ameracauna just diff colors), and 5 eggs from someone local. only 7 of these 14 made it into lockdown. So we will see what happens. I hope to come home to a homegrown chicky running around the incubator. I currently have the 2 chicks from my first hatch(3 1/2 weeks old), and 2 Jersey Giant chicks that are 1 week old in the brooder.

I have a question... one that was born at 10:30 last night has some gunk stuck on its bottom. I noticed it when it hatched but thought it would come off. It's hard and stuck on, do I need to act immediately, give it time?
Thanks for your help.

I did a little reading and have noticed that it is not the butt, but a little away. Someone suggested that it might be a scab, that's what it looks like. Anyway it's tiny little butt looks fine.

The two eggs that are left.... haven't pipped, what do I do? Wait another day? How long do I wait?

My first pipped early this morning, I heard it peeping inside the egg when I was checking incubator temp before heading to work, and I could see the pip right on top. This is first egg from my own hens to be hatched, I cant wait to see. I have only incubated 1 other time, on shipped eggs, got 2 of 8. This time I did 9 from my own hens(2 red sex links) and my roo(EE, parents were pure ameracauna just diff colors), and 5 eggs from someone local. only 7 of these 14 made it into lockdown. So we will see what happens. I hope to come home to a homegrown chicky running around the incubator. I currently have the 2 chicks from my first hatch(3 1/2 weeks old), and 2 Jersey Giant chicks that are 1 week old in the brooder.

Good luck to you... I can't believe how exciting this is!

I did a little reading and have noticed that it is not the butt, but a little away. Someone suggested that it might be a scab, that's what it looks like. Anyway it's tiny little butt looks fine.

The two eggs that are left.... haven't pipped, what do I do? Wait another day? How long do I wait?

Generally the advice is to leave them - as long as 25 days. In my personal (but limited) experience, the ones that haven't pipped by the time the others have hatched, haven't hatched at all. But others will tell you they are glad they waited because they had a late arrival.

Back
Top Bottom