5 toed cockerel

lamberts chooks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Uk
I have a polish bantam cockerel, and was hoping that one day I would breed him with my girls (non polish girls, so cross breed babies, but the girls are booted, thought that would be a lovely mix with their dad's crest and mums boots) and also at some stage getting an unrelated polish girl to create some pures!
When I first bought Claude, I noticed one foot had 5 toes, the other had 4, I did question the breeder who told me he was supposed to have this!!! I didn't believe it, but bought Claude anyway as I'm new to owning a cockerel and other than that, he's perfect!
I was reading a post on here the other day saying that because of this anomaly, they shouldn't be bred, now I'm feeling pretty upset about it. Anybody else in my boat?

It could be gene from way back that's reoccurring. I have polish and I have frizzle pullet that's got feathery legs and she shouldn't. Mum and Dad don't have feather legs after posting on here some one told me it was probably from way back from a booted breed that was maybe bred into the polish to get the frizzle gene into them. They then breed back to polish to keep the frizzle gene. With five toes I would think it was maybe a silkie that has sneaked in some where along the line. I had a silkie cross that had five toes the Pom Pom but other wise looked like a normal hen body wise. Hope this helps and good luck with breeding. :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know much about this breed. You might stop by the Polish thread and discuss this with others that own this breed. Maybe they can shine some light on this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585953/i-have-to-talk-polish

Good luck with your breeding program and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. I'm not sure why one foot would have five and the other four.

If all you want is pets, it is probably fine to breed him to your hens. It would only be a significant problem if you were breeding for show or trying to perfect a breed.

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

I don't know much about this breed. You might stop by the Polish thread and discuss this with others that own this breed. Maybe they can shine some light on this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585953/i-have-to-talk-polish

Good luck with your breeding program and welcome to our flock!

Thank you for posting that TwoCrows I didn't realise there was that thread also for polish :highfive:

I'm sure whoever said "shouldn't be bred" was talking about breeding a particular breed, meaning it is undesirable to pass on traits that would not be showable. If you are going to produce cross bred chicks that are for the backyard it shouldn't matter. Enjoy your rooster.

Back
Top Bottom