Integrating chickens and it not going well

What do you mean by large clutter?
I am just surprised the cockerel hurts the only girl that squats for him. What surprises me the most is that the Polish hen seems to like him, even though he attacks her.
I do hope age will calm things down.

What do you mean by large clutter?
I am just surprised the cockerel hurts the only girl that squats for him. What surprises me the most is that the Polish hen seems to like him, even though he attacks her.
I do hope age will calm things down.
Problem is he's still young - think horny teenager. And some roosters no matter their age aren't exactly gentlemanly.

Have you tried putting the cockerel in the Polish area, and then putting the Polishes in with only the NN pullets? If so, what happens?
Things that the chickens can hide in/on/behind... large hollowed out logs, old end table or wooden chair on its side, a lean-to type structure, etc...

Here's a thread with some ideas:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
^ This!

You have a lot of smaller clutter in the runs, but larger items that can effectively break line of sight can help.

Thank you for the link! I read it and now have good ideas to enhance and clutter the runs :)

I have kept the cockerel in the run and let all the girls free range together, and it wasn't as dramatic, but the NNs still gang up and chase around the Polish. Keeping them in a run together won't work. The run is too small, it seems. The Polish will stay on one side for awhile and all seems fine, but then all of a sudden the chase is on, cornering happens, and head feathers get pulled.
The most docile Polish always freaks out, runs into things, gets herself cornered and gets hurt.

Back
Top Bottom