5 week old attacked by hawk!

She may be blind.... I can't tell. Watch her and make sure nothing gets infected. I'd keep her separated with one other chick to keep her company. That way the others aren't pecking at wounds and making it worse.
I have 2 others, the fourth one was killed by the hawk. Do you think I need to isolate the injured one (that’s what I’m doing currently)

Last question..maybe…should I get chicken antibiotics for the small puncture wound? Where do I get that, do I have to go to vet? Tractor supply didn’t have any. Thanks for all the help!

Update: she’s still alive and has opened one of her eyes, she’s very wobbly and is not eating or drinking unless I syringe feed her or dip her beak in the water. She seems really dizzy. There is no more air coming out of her puncture, breathing normally, she’s active but with no purposeful actions besides feather cleaning. I’m only able to get her to take around 2mls a day of pedialyte with a syringe. I’ve been dabbing her eyes with NS and putting erythromycin in them (once a day?). How much time should I give her to recover before I consider putting her down? When should I put her back with my other two (she’s in her own brooder with a heat lamp right now). Thanks for all the advice!!

Update: she’s still alive and has opened one of her eyes, she’s very wobbly and is not eating or drinking unless I syringe feed her or dip her beak in the water. She seems really dizzy. There is no more air coming out of her puncture, breathing normally, she’s active but with no purposeful actions besides feather cleaning. I’m only able to get her to take around 2mls a day of pedialyte with a syringe. I’ve been dabbing her eyes with NS and putting erythromycin in them (once a day?). How much time should I give her to recover before I consider putting her down? When should I put her back with my other two (she’s in her own brooder with a heat lamp right now). Thanks for all the advice!!
Chickens are surprising could at healing themselves. There's not a set time dead line to when you should consider putting her down. If she's getting worse or isn't getting better over a period of weeks is when you decide. Continue to keep her separated.

It's up to you. We aren't there to gauge her progress or her behavior.

As long as you see some improvement, there's a chance for her to heal.

What you need to assess is if she has the body parts to function and survive. These would be:

-Can she find food and water and eat and drink on her own?
-Can she see?
-Can she balance and move about normally?
-Is she in pain?

Chickens are surprising could at healing themselves. There's not a set time dead line to when you should consider putting her down. If she's getting worse or isn't getting better over a period of weeks is when you decide. Continue to keep her separated.
I’m going to give her more time, she’s shown improvement. She’s a tough gal!

It's up to you. We aren't there to gauge her progress or her behavior.

As long as you see some improvement, there's a chance for her to heal.

What you need to assess is if she has the body parts to function and survive. These would be:

-Can she find food and water and eat and drink on her own?
-Can she see?
-Can she balance and move about normally?
-Is she in pain?

Back
Top Bottom