5 week old black copper marans and idea of gender??

I know this is an old thread-but I have the same question about my 5 week old French Black Copper Marans. `She' has a larger and redder comb than all my other pullets. She is aggressive-she is 2nd only to the biggest 10 week old black sex-link. The two 8-week old Easter Eggers that I am 95% sure are cockerels pay attention to her like they do to no others. But-her feathering-how quickly it is coming in, etc. looks like a pullet. Any guesses?

Your chick looks very boyish to me. This is my biggest, fastest-growing, most assertive chick at 4 1/2 weeks - note complete lack of wattles, and not even a hint of red in the comb:

Thanks, he really does act like a boy. And my friend got a FBCM on the same day and she says hers doesn't have any red in her comb. I always am hopeful though-we get attached and don't want to have to give any up.
I saw your chick on the right on the EE thread. My EE that has black feathers like that is probably a cockerel. I am curious to see what her coloring ends up like.

Thanks, he really does act like a boy. And my friend got a FBCM on the same day and she says hers doesn't have any red in her comb. I always am hopeful though-we get attached and don't want to have to give any up.
I saw your chick on the right on the EE thread. My EE that has black feathers like that is probably a cockerel. I am curious to see what her coloring ends up like.

I am admittedly *really* attached to all of mine. We don't have any legal issues about roos here, I just don't need one, and DH would rather do without the noise. I am 90% sure all of ours are female, but if one ends up surprising me I will keep him. I'll cross my fingers for you!

And yeah, this EE chick is really intriguing. The black is only on the very top of her head. I'm really hoping she will retain all that gray(blue) and not just turn orange-ish. She looks a bit like a washed-out robin right now. Do you have a pic of yours?

This is Blossom today (I posted a pic just before you on the Easter Egger thread). He mostly feathered the same time as the others, but didn't have the `bustle' like feathers on his back, above his tail. And it is funny, if I pet both the Easter Egger cockerels, they don't feel fluffy like all the girls do.

Back
Top Bottom