5 week old chick not standing and very lethargic

Oliver_RH

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Hi,

I have two chicks, one 5 weeks and one 4 weeks since hatching. They have been doing well - very active, eating, drinking and poo'ing fine. They are on chick crumbs with plenty of water and living in a large box with wood shavings on the base.

For the last couple of days the eldest has been very lethargic, sleeping allot with his beak in the shavings. He also now seems unable to stand an walk. His legs are not very spread, although a little bit so i was going to tape them for a while. Until today he has still been eating fine. Now he is not eating as much, and is making more noise. He is also shivering a little sometimes.

The second chick has been fine until today. She still eats enthusiastically, but seems to be having difficulties standing/balancing now.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions people might have.

Many Thanks,

- Oliver

Update: The eldest now seems to have lost balance all together. He seems to always have his head berried in the floor, and as soon as he sits up he rolls backwards.

Occasionally he lands on his back, and just gives up when trying to get the right way up again.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Are they on grit? Have you ever given them electrolytes. I would go get electrolytes, right away. And put it in their water the next 5 days.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I they have always had chick grit available to them, and some sprinkled in with their food. I'll order some electrolytes right away.

Back
Top Bottom