5 week old chick not walking right!!!

I am going out today to get poly vi sol..just to see if itll help at all..
How does a chick get mareks? I bought these birds off ebay when they where eggs..they are lavender Orpingtons..all other chicks are fine..should i seperate her?

How old is she and what have you been feeding her? 

She just turned 5 weeks today...shes on dumor chick starter..iv never had any problems with this feed before but ill change it if i have to..i also never had any sick birds in the 4 years of raising them so sorry for all the questions!

That sounds like Mareks, well we had a chicken like that and that was what was wrong with it. Are the pupils in its eye looking strange?

* http://www.avianweb.com/mareksdisease.html
Your chick is at the perfect age to get Marek's. If you have other 6 week olds, you may see more do it.
These articles online are good, but only list the "classic" signs. Marek's can have almost any symptoms, none, or wasting away while eating, Not walking, and wasting are the most common. That's why a good flock history is needed. They do not always sit with one leg back and one leg forward. But as the virus progresses, they may do it more and more.

You hatched these eggs. So they did not bring it in. Have you brought any birds home in your flock that were exposed to other birds?

Last edited:
Marek's is most commonly found in chicks 12 to 30 weeks, but can be in chicks over 3 weeks.

I would separate her, just in case. Marek's is a virus and is contagious.

Have they come in contact with grown chickens?

(It is always good to ask questions. The more you (or we) ask questions the more accurately we'll find out what's happening with your chick, don't be sorry)

I am going out today to get poly vi sol..just to see if itll help at all..
How does a chick get mareks? I bought these birds off ebay when they where eggs..they are lavender Orpingtons..all other chicks are fine..should i seperate her?
I would separate her, but if it's Marek's, your flock would already have it.

Marek's is most commonly found in chicks 12 to 30 weeks, but can be in chicks over 3 weeks.

I would separate her, just in case. Marek's is a virus and is contagious.

Have they come in contact with grown chickens?

(It is always good to ask questions. The more you (or we) ask questions the more accurately we'll find out what's happening with your chick, don't be sorry)
You're right , it is most common at (6) to 20 weeks. But the strains now days have made symptoms more difficult. There are no rules with Marek's. Some symptoms are noticeable, some are not. I had 10 chicks die at 5 weeks to 12 weeks. I've had a few die at 4-8months old. One roo died at 1 1/2 year old, and one hen just died at 5 years old. Yes, you could say the 5 year old had something else, but she had most of the symptoms that my younger chickens had, just not paralysis.

Your chick is at the perfect age to get Marek's.  If you have other 6 week olds, you may see more do it. 
These articles online are good, but only list the "classic" signs.  Marek's can have almost any symptoms, none, or wasting away while eating, Not walking, and wasting are the most common.  That's why a good flock history is needed.  They do not always sit with one leg back and one leg forward.  But as the virus progresses, they may do it more and more. 

You hatched these eggs.  So they did not bring it in.  Have you brought any birds home in your flock that were exposed to other birds?

These chicks have been inside sense they where born..they are in my house..no other birds just them..no contact with other chickens..

All my other chickens i have have been outside sense i got them..i got SLW pullets last year durring summer..but they never came inside..and they are all ok...

Quote: I get a little too attached with my JG's, so I had a cockerel in my room who was paralyzed and had seizures........... for 6 months. And he did recover, standing on both feet. Here's a picture of him in the midst of Marek's. One day I came home and he was sitting on his hocks, all I had fed him was chick starter and Poly-vi-sol in the water... I can't prove that Poly-vi-sol helped him survive, but he was a fighter.

Notice the foot sticking out.

6 months later.

Last edited:
Alsi..she has very cold feet...i dont know if that has anything to do with anything..but all the other chicks feet are warm..i seperated her and when i just walked out to guve her food she was standing..but then laid down. Ahhh this is so stress full!!

Back
Top Bottom