5 week old chick sick

Justin P

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Southeast Virginia
One of my buff orp chicks is falling over and can only take a couple steps at a time. It is the same one who a few weeks ago i noticed its beak was a little crooked. I changed the food and then i notice her not moving around. I tried making her walk and i could almost just push her over. I bought some vetrx and put it in their water to try and help. any advice would be appreciated.

Nevermind, the one with the crooked beak is healthy, now i am bummed this was the one that was the nicest. she was healthy three days ago and now i am thinking about just going ahead and killing the poor thing. I will give her till tomorow night and if she isnt any better i think i am gonna have to do it.

Just in case anyone reads this and is wondering what happened here it is: On saturday I felt that I should switch the food that i feed my chicks. I swtiched from a starter mash, oatty sawdust, to manna pro medicated crumbles. They didnt really act like they liked it but they ate it. On monday my most active chick was laying around acting like she couldnt walk. I picked her up and her crop was large and hard and when she walked she would only go a few steps and fall forward and lay there. I went back to the feed store and bought the mash i had been using and put that in with the crumbles. I massaged her crop a few time yesterday and forced her to drink water which i put a little vetrx in. today she is getting back to normal!! My conclusion is that the chicks were used to pigging down the fine mash and then tried to eat the crumbles the same way and it somehow got lodged in her crop. I am happy she is getting better, and to think i almost just killed her when she couldnt walk. I hate to watch things suffer but i definately learned to give things a chance now as long as it is not in obvious pain. I hope this can help someone else that may experiance the same issue

Justin

Back
Top Bottom