5 week old chick with infected wound

Stephoney

Songster
Apr 7, 2021
One of my 5 week old Double Laced Silver Barnevelders has a wound that I’ve been cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and treating with neosporin. Unfortunately it looks like it’s infected. It’s bulging a bit this afternoon, swollen. I pressed on it and it’s not hot, but it is definitely swollen tissue or infection/pus. I’m worried about the proximity to her ear. I don’t have fish mox yet and I’m worried about waiting multiple days for it to get here even if I order it tonight. My son has Clindamycin capsules left from a trip. I was wondering if it’s possible to give her/him that? If so, does anyone have an idea about dosage? I have a scale and can weigh her. Sorry for the poor photos. I tried to get some close up shots of it so you could see the wound. She’s/He’s pretty lively and hard to keep still.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0779.jpeg
    IMG_0779.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I'd switch from using Peroxide to cleaning the wound really well with Chlorhexidine.

If you have vet care, that is always best.

Do some more research here on BYC as well as the web. The old copy of Plumb's Vet Drug Manual I have shows Clindamycin dose is 25mg/kg.
Hope this helps.

1682051166911.jpeg

Found a doc through a friend. He said the cut was really deep- straight and deep. He was positive it was a razor or possibly a very sharp piece of glass. Can’t find anything like that in our greenhouse where they get to explore in the afternoons. He prescribed her a strong antibiotic (Mupirocin) ointment 3x per day and said to give her melon for extra hydration. He said should be healed and be better in 5-6 days. Such a relief!

Back
Top Bottom