5 Week Old Chick with leg paralysis and possible spasms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kitey1345, Oct 11, 2016.

1. kitey1345

kitey1345 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Today I found my 5 week old easter egger lying on her side in her pen. Until today she seemed to be thriving with her sisters with constant access to food, water and a source of heat. One of her legs seems to be completely unresponsive whist she can still move the other (although its pretty weak). She also seems to be breathing a little heavier and is yet to poop. I'm not sure if she's having spasms or if its an attempt to move herself. I haven't found any traces of distress or injuries on the bird and within her poo. She is eating some of her chick feed when I hold it to her and she's also had some sugar water. Recently I moved the chicks outside of the house onto the deck...this is the only real distress that I can think of the chicks going through in the past week. The chicks live in a pen which is covered on the top and bottom and has goof airflow. I use wood shavings which is cleaned out regularly. Today we had a warm day (32 degrees Celsius). The only real contaminant that I can think of is that the chicks tend to kick their bedding into their water which I clean out when I can. I've already checked over her for any ticks and other parasites. Any tips and possible diagnosis for my little bird would be greatly appreciated. There is a picture attached. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Mareks disease could be a possible problem, especially with one leg not moving. Was she vaccinated for Mareks? However, several other possibilities should be ruled out, such as dehydration, a vitamin deficiency, an injury, or avian encephalomyelitis (AE.) AE causes tremors and lameness, but usually strikes in chicks under a month of age.
    I would put chicken vitamins in her water that include riboflavin, and make sure that she is taking plenty of water.
    Coccidiosis, an intestinal infection, can cause lameness sometimes, and the other symptoms are lethargy, weakness, not eating, diarrhea or blood in droppings, and a hunched appearance. Amprollium (Corid or Coxoid) is the usual treatment for coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by