5 week old Leghorn/ Ameraucana mix

RunnerChick4

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Pullet or Cockerel?

Tough call for me. That is a lot of comb but leghorns are like that. Also there is no red in the comb or face yet. Does he or she have any brothers and sisters of the same age to compare to? That would make it easier.

welcome-byc.gif

That's a pullet, but I don't see any Ameraucana blood in it. Straight comb, yellow legs, clean face, those things all say no Ameraucana blood.

welcome-byc.gif

That's a pullet, but I don't see any Ameraucana blood in it. Straight comb, yellow legs, clean face, those things all say no Ameraucana blood.

Several of my chicks hatched out much the same way - but they still have Ameraucana blood in them just very distantly :).

But then again, I am breeding back to White Leghorns to increase production and selecting out the pea combed off spring and the ones that look like her are the culls. That said, you should see some black specks or other colors coming through unless the pullet has two copies of dominant white.

Several of my chicks hatched out much the same way - but they still have Ameraucana blood in them just very distantly :).

But then again, I am breeding back to White Leghorns to increase production and selecting out the pea combed off spring and the ones that look like her are the culls. That said, you should see some black specks or other colors coming through unless the pullet has two copies of dominant white.

Just curious--why are you breeding back to white Leghorn instead of just buying some unmixed stock?

No. That would definitely help!

Tough call for me.  That is a lot of comb but leghorns are like that.  Also there is no red in the comb or face yet.  Does he or she have any brothers and sisters of the same age to compare to?  That would make it easier. 

The hen was leghorn, and there is only one roo (Ameraucana) in the entire flock.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom