5 Week Old Pekins

PekinMom3033

Hatching
Mar 30, 2023
Hello all! I have three 5 week old Pekins, and I am brand new to raising ducks. It gets up to 50 degrees F here currently with lows down to 40•. How soon are they able to spend their days outdoors? Would it be too soon to let them explore during the day? Thank you in advance!

Hello all! I have three 5 week old Pekins, and I am brand new to raising ducks. It gets up to 50 degrees F here currently with lows down to 40•. How soon are they able to spend their days outdoors? Would it be too soon to let them explore during the day? Thank you in advance!
How far along are yours with feathering out? Ours that are 5 weeks are really getting close. We have actually been taking ours out when the temps have been at least 60, and the wind not being too much, since they are not fully feathered. They was literally jumping in the pool at those temps, playing around, running around. Constantly supervised, not once have they acted too cold and started huddling. They have actually been seeming to be having a wonderful time foraging, swimming and playing in our yard. Heck yesterday we let them join our bigger ducks without issues. We have been taking them outside since they were just about 4 weeks old and allowing our adults and them to see each other but not get to each other for about a week now.

How far along are yours with feathering out? Ours that are 5 weeks are really getting close. We have actually been taking ours out when the temps have been at least 60, and the wind not being too much, since they are not fully feathered. They was literally jumping in the pool at those temps, playing around, running around. Constantly supervised, not once have they acted too cold and started huddling. They have actually been seeming to be having a wonderful time foraging, swimming and playing in our yard. Heck yesterday we let them join our bigger ducks without issues. We have been taking them outside since they were just about 4 weeks old and allowing our adults and them to see each other but not get to each other for about a week now.
Ours are also getting close! I’m in OH so right now it’s anywhere from 30-58 degrees during the day and upper 40s at night. I’ve thought about putting them in a run area during the day starting today but idk if it would be too cold for them or not.

Ours are also getting close! I’m in OH so right now it’s anywhere from 30-58 degrees during the day and upper 40s at night. I’ve thought about putting them in a run area during the day starting today but idk if it would be too cold for them or not.
We have been letting ours go out since just around 3 weeks old. When the temps hit the 70s or high 60s and wind wasn't strong enough to blow their feathers. Of course that young we wasn't letting them out all day, like 1-2 hours when it was warmest part of the day. Since they got to be 4 weeks we been taking them out even mid 60s and longer they was doing fine, yesterday it was in the 60s and we let them out pretty early and they ran the yard all day while we supervised. They took breaks from playing and swimming, laying close to each other, but not like all on top of each other. Basically just acting like our adult ducks do when lounging around in the yard. They gave no indication they was too cold, and even as it started getting into the 50s they acted no different. Have you let them out at all yet, or would this be first time period?

I would say since we do take them out for short time to start, even when they don't act chilled we put them back in the brooder, ours do fine. If they have not been out at all I wouldn't advise all day, maybe 30 min to an hour and do that for a few days first. And I would keep a very good eye on them and any signs of being chilled get them back in the brooder ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom