1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 week old roo, eyes won't open, sneezing...please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meaganb, Oct 21, 2010.

1. meaganb

meaganb New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    Hi everyone. Okay first off let me say that this is my first time owning chicks and several others have had problems. I bought 8 chicks from a man closeby who seemed very knowledgable and caring to his chickens. One problem was that the chicks he gave me seem to vary by a week or so in age (I have 4 breeds, started with 2 of each) A few days after I had the chicks I noticed a small amount of bloody poop and the next day we found one of our BOs had died. When we saw more bloody poop we started them on sulmet and they all seemed to be doing fine. Unfortunately one of our Wynadottes died in our hands after it wouldn't stand. Both of these chicks would stretch their necks out and make a slight clicking sound when breathing. After the Wyn. died and they had finished the Sulmet I started them on Duramycin-10 and one was gasping (Ameraucana). She wasn't eating or drinking. We isolated her. We also got Vital (electrolytes) and fed her with a dropper. She died last night.

It is so sad and frustrating. Now I am worried about my Australorp roo, so here is more info.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Black Australorp roo, 5 1/2 weeks (approx.), I am not sure of the weight but he is very large and heavy.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    He sits on the perch, and now his eyes sealed shut. I applied a warm compress and they open but then close again. He is slightly blue in the face. He also sleeps with his head twisted in, like resting on his wing. He sneezes occasionally.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Approx. a day

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    Other birds are sneezing, but are very active. All of their eyes are clear. Some also have a slightly bluish hue to the face.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Contagious outbreak?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Drinking a lot. Occasionally eats medicated crumbles. Had some hard-boiled egg but was not tempted like the others.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Some is grey and hard looking. No diarreah or blood

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Sulmet, followed by Duramycin-10 w/ electrolytes

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I'm not entirely sure, I worry about them ALL being future carriers.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    I will try

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    For the first week they were in a plastic container lined with paper towels under a red light. It is hard to find the perfect temp. because some are a week older (some get too cold, some get too hot) They are now outside (where it is 80 degrees) along with a smaller light. The brooder is 3x4 lined with hardwear cloth.

Please help! I will isolate him, but they have all been sharing the water etc.

Thank you!

2. meaganb

meaganb New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    Please help..anyone?
    I think it might be swollen head syndrome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by