5-week-old sunbathers

Hummingbird Hollow

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Colorado mountains
My 5+ week old girls spend most of their days in an 4'X6' play yard in my garage that I made of PVC pipe and poultry netting. I just got home from teaching my Zumba class and opened the garage door, letting bright sunlight into the bottom third of the pen. All eight girls ran over and lay down on their sides with one wing stretched out. They just love to sunbathe! The only problem is that no one chicken can be satisfied in their position so they're constantly shifting around stepping on their neighbor who in turn has to get up and preposition herself which disturbs the next one and so on. Over the course of the next 30 minutes that two foot strip of bright sunlight will shrink to nothing and during that period the chickens will try to pack themselves into a smaller and smaller space to take advantage of it. What a bunch of silly girls. Reminds me of myself and my dorm mates in high school trying to get a tan before prom. I'll have to try to get some photos.

Quote:
pop.gif

I used to love when they were little & would "faint in the sun", once they got bigger it wasn't so frequent. We came home the other day & they all rush out to greet us, one by one they hit the sun & fainted like dainty southern bells, I about dropped the groceries laughing so hard, I was even narrating, DH just looked at me like I'd officially gone over the edge!

Quote:
Are you sure they aren't possibly a little chilly? Even at 5 weeks and feathered fairly well, they can still get chilly easily because they don't have the body mass to hold heat well yet. Mine are in an 8'x8'x8.5' (L x W x H), that vents the heat extremely well, through the roof, screen door and screen window. Even still, on these hot days here in W TN, I need to turn the box fan on high (3 of 3 on the knob), but in the evening, at about 7PM, I have to turn it down to 1 because they're too chilly, and at around 10PM I have to turn it off or they'll all be piled in a corner trying to stay warm, even though it's 75 degrees. Even at 70 (my chicks are one month old now and feathered in quite well for their age) I had to turn the fan off and turn the heat lampo on the other night, because even though I was sweating at 10PM, they were huddling for warmth, so I turned on the heat lamp.

Just something you might want to check on or think about is all. Garages can stay a lot cooler than some little coop like mine that's 100 yards from the house, because it's connected to an air-condidtioned house and has a concrete floor which holds coolness real well too.

Back
Top Bottom