5 week olds with older hens

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
My fiance cut a hole in the wire between the brooder and the hen house so they could explore. Sotry first: my BO - a big poofy bird if there ever was one, aqueezed herself in the brooder, threw the chicks out and started eating their food. WHAT A PIG!!!

Now the question: do you think the babies will be alright in there? My bo just wants the food, and the others are ignoring them and we have already had two eggs today...

Chances are better then good that the older hens will kill the youngsters. One should always wait till close to full size before introducing younger birds to an established flock.

They have been in a seperated are visible to the older hens for about 8 days now. They aren't strangers to each other, I am just thinking they are too small. The hole is smaller now, so only they can get back in, but I am so paranoid I keep going out there. Fiance and I will close the hole at night....

Keep a very close almost constant watch on them for the first few days. Some hens will tolerate youngsters well but most won't.

Watch carefully. Good luck.
jumpy.gif

I've always thought that they need to be almost 7 to 8 weeks before they should be put together... won't have to worry about that until next year unless all my hens are layers.

I put my 17 week olds in with my 5 week old just for a few hours a day. The Older ones where fine until the little ones got to close than they would pick at them until the little ones ran off, this only happen a few times and the 5 week olds learned to stay away. But I still won't leave them together unsupervised until the 5 week olds are bigger. I do put them back on their own sides of the fence where they can still see one another.

Jody

I convinced my beloved that they are too young and we plugged the hole. FUNNY!!! As soon as the wire was secured again, all 6 chicks went over there and all stuck their noses together. "WHERE'D THE HOLE GO???"
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom