5 Wk Old Polish Chick Limping Leg Issues Only

mustangjayyyme

Chirping
Dec 21, 2020
Seabrook, TX
Been a few days and no improvement. I also tried our neighborhood lady, searching here, and the lady we got our chickens from. She is eating and drinking fine, so that was my major concern.
From what I found here, I thought maybe it was a slipped tendon. But still not sure.
She doesn't really put weight on it or open the foot up much. I tried to get a photo...which I attached.
Well she is almost 6 weeks...we tried wrapping it for a day or so, but no real improvement. I think that was impeding movement more than helping. At the time we wrapped it, we also tried the chair thing...but she is too big and still relatively active. She can still fly and it was just a disaster. So no go on that.
She doesn't want to put weight on it, and it seems pretty limp and she doesn't move it much. My husband looked at some slipped tendon stuff...felt it, moved it around...and doesn't necessarily feel anything that off.
She seems to hobble around okay. We brought her inside as soon as I noticed it, which I check on them a few times a day. She eats and drinks just fine, and she can still fly and be a butthead when she wants. She does a lot of laying down since it's hard for her to support her weight on one foot.
I just want to help her! We also have another polish of the same age, who has had no issues. I keep watching just in case though. They do not have any high roost or anything like that...so not sure how she may have hurt it. They have a little thing I made them that is maybe 4-5 inches off the ground. That's it.
Thanks in advance for any ideas that might help. Not sure what we can do to help this poor girl or guy.

Attachments

• photo_2021-02-28_21-09-53.jpg
    photo_2021-02-28_21-09-53.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo_2021-02-28_21-22-10.jpg
    photo_2021-02-28_21-22-10.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 7
I'm not sure what you can do for her.
You don't feel a tendon slipped? Wrapping/splinting the leg may help.
It's possible that she may have a leg deformity and there's nothing you can do to correct it.

I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for leg support.

I'm not sure what you can do for her.
You don't feel a tendon slipped? Wrapping/splinting the leg may help.
It's possible that she may have a leg deformity and there's nothing you can do to correct it.

I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day for leg support.
Is there a good chicken version of this, or do you guys do human? Sorry new to most injuries and chickens. So far I haven't encountered anything and my oldest are 19 weeks! I did wrap, but she seemed to want to use it less? and she seemed to not be able to open the foot, but I may try shortening the wrap. and thank you! Do most keep chickens with leg deformities or how does that go in terms of culling? Sorry I just don't know if a chicken with a leg deformity will live a worthwhile life, so I don't want it suffering if so. Almost seems like she would be an inside chicken then ha.

Is there a good chicken version of this, or do you guys do human? Sorry new to most injuries and chickens. So far I haven't encountered anything and my oldest are 19 weeks! I did wrap, but she seemed to want to use it less? and she seemed to not be able to open the foot, but I may try shortening the wrap. and thank you! Do most keep chickens with leg deformities or how does that go in terms of culling? Sorry I just don't know if a chicken with a leg deformity will live a worthwhile life, so I don't want it suffering if so. Almost seems like she would be an inside chicken then ha.
I would just use human B-Complex that you can pick up at WalMart, etc. But if you want a poultry vitamin then I would get Poultry Cell.

Do most keep chickens with leg deformities...that's a tough one. Some do. Some chickens thrive in spite of issues, while others decline (likely something else genetic/developmental cuts life short). Others cull. I'm more in the camp of cull. If I can't get a bird on it's feet/better, etc. in a very short period of time then I need to make a decision. For me chickens belong outside doing chicken things. Not that I won't give one special care/attention when needed, I like them very much. I'm not against people having a chicken inside if that's what fits - everyone has a different point of view, goals, etc.

I would just use human B-Complex that you can pick up at WalMart, etc. But if you want a poultry vitamin then I would get Poultry Cell.

Do most keep chickens with leg deformities...that's a tough one. Some do. Some chickens thrive in spite of issues, while others decline (likely something else genetic/developmental cuts life short). Others cull. I'm more in the camp of cull. If I can't get a bird on it's feet/better, etc. in a very short period of time then I need to make a decision. For me chickens belong outside doing chicken things. Not that I won't give one special care/attention when needed, I like them very much. I'm not against people having a chicken inside if that's what fits - everyone has a different point of view, goals, etc.
Appreciate your help and input. Will talk to my husband and we will make a decision.

Just wanted to give you a nice update! Somehow magically this girl started kinda using her foot again shortly after this. We were able to re-integrate her with her fellow chickens she grew up with...surprisingly with no issues. She seems to get around a little harder than everyone else, but she's roosting now up with the big girls. At first she was in a corner in the coop, but no more. She also survived a hawk attack....sadly they got our Ameraucana 😭 it was devastating. Her foot almost seems back to normal SOO WEIRD it still seems a little different and so does she (hope she's a she) lol but she's fully function with no help from us. So I'm really happy and proud that she's okay, and we gave her a chance to surprise us. She gets up and down the ramp every morning. I thought she couldn't fly well, but guess I am wrong. Happy happy story 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_174247.jpg
    IMG_20210412_174247.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Just wanted to give you a nice update! Somehow magically this girl started kinda using her foot again shortly after this. We were able to re-integrate her with her fellow chickens she grew up with...surprisingly with no issues. She seems to get around a little harder than everyone else, but she's roosting now up with the big girls. At first she was in a corner in the coop, but no more. She also survived a hawk attack....sadly they got our Ameraucana 😭 it was devastating. Her foot almost seems back to normal SOO WEIRD it still seems a little different and so does she (hope she's a she) lol but she's fully function with no help from us. So I'm really happy and proud that she's okay, and we gave her a chance to surprise us. She gets up and down the ramp every morning. I thought she couldn't fly well, but guess I am wrong. Happy happy story 😁
Thank you for the update!
I'm glad to hear that she is doing much better. :)
Sorry to hear about the Hawk attack and the loss of your Ameraucana. :(

Back
Top Bottom