5 year old Brahma hen losing weight and unsteady on her feet.

kmidyette

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2016
I have a 5, almost 6 year old Brahma hen that has gotten very thin and is very unsteady on her feet. She seems to be eating and drinking fine and no poopy butt, which is what I generally see when they start to decline. Also, the other hens are starting to pick on her. I just put diatomaceous earth in their feed last week and add apple cider vinegar to their water. Any ideas?

I don't personally know about DE in their feed.

Has she been wormed lately? Eating and losing weight makes me think worms first, digestion issues second. Is her crop emptying every night? You can check by pulling her food up at night and checking her crop in the morning before she gets into any food.

I don't personally know about DE in their feed.

Has she been wormed lately? Eating and losing weight makes me think worms first, digestion issues second. Is her crop emptying every night? You can check by pulling her food up at night and checking her crop in the morning before she gets into any food.
DE in the food is for internal parasites. I'm assuming that her poop is normal since her butt is clean. I have 7 and they all roost together so it's hard to know.

Feel her crop. She could have a blockage or sour crop, which will cause weight loss. See if it’s mushy like a water balloon, or hard like a jaw breaker, that way you can rule sour crop & impacted crop out.

Feel her crop. She could have a blockage or sour crop, which will cause weight loss. See if it’s mushy like a water balloon, or hard like a jaw breaker, that way you can rule sour crop & impacted crop out.
I felt her crop this morning. I was not hard and I was able to feel it break up. I gave her some yogurt and fresh greens so maybe that will help. She is eating and drinking so that's a good thing.

Reproductive disorders and cancer can cause weightloss and may have problems walking. Is she being kept from food and water since they are picking on her? She might need to be crated with food and water inside the coop, to stay part of the flock without getting picked on. How is her crop looking? Does it empty overnight.

Back
Top Bottom