5 year old rooster losing balance.

MoffatChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, I have a rooster that just turned 5 years old this past spring and I just noticed he has been having a hard time standing up, putting his head down, and roosting at night. He seems to be able to stand, and he can run if needed, but mostly when he bends down to eat he loses his balance and stumbles a bit, sometimes he lies on his belly and eats that way. He has also has a hard time keeping his balance on the roosting bar at night. Once he is on the the bar, and squats on the bar, he seems ok but I have seen him fall off the roosting bar trying to get balance and settling. He is also having a hard time coordinating his way down the ramp from the coop and sometimes his wings droop like he is falling asleep (or passing out) standing up. I don't see any injuries, he did have some lice that has been treated, so I don't know if this is old age and/or an old week heart?

I think his poop may be black and stink... not sure if its his but I have noticed it in the chicken area but cant be sure its him.

I feed him an grower/finisher feed (all flock)

Yes I think he can see well.

I used DE for the lice (in canada our options are more limited) and I think its working. I keep powdering him again to get the few remaining lice but its worked well.

I have looked him over but nothing jumps out at me. I will look him over in more detail again but don't expect to find anything the second look over.

Probably just old age and approaching his time on this earth to end. Sorry for that reality. But chickens don’t live that long.

And for future posting reference. Please don’t start two separate threads with the same question/issue. It will only make it harder for you keep up with the info that’s been provided on here and asking it in two places won’t speed up you getting the answers you’re needing. Thanks and good luck!

I have looked him over but nothing jumps out at me. I will look him over in more detail again but don't expect to find anything the second l
Probably just old age and approaching his time on this earth to end. Sorry for that reality. But chickens don’t live that long.

And for future posting reference. Please don’t start two separate threads with the same question/issue. It will only make it harder for you keep up with the info that’s been provided on here and asking it in two places won’t speed up you getting the answers you’re needing. Thanks and good luck!
Thanks for the info I am considering his age as an issue. Im raising a younger 17 week rooster and already he is chasing the older one.... that is a sign to me. Im sorry for the multiple posting I put the first one in the wrong spot and tried to correct it but I see ive made it worst. I know for next time :)

Back
Top Bottom