slukeplass22

Songster
9 Years
Nov 20, 2014
Northern Piedmont, USA
So my 5 year old Easter Egger was picked up by my mother about 2.5 ft. above the ground before she fidgeted and tumbled out of her arms, and landed on her back in the grass and rolled over onto her feet. I examined her face and neck area and she seemed perfectly fine - no signs of injury as far as I could tell. She just seemed (understandably) tired from the fall.

So I left for an hour before coming back and now her beak is misaligned - like a minor case of scissor/crossed beak. She's always had a normal beak all her life until now.

What exactly happened, and what should I do? All I know of is giving her vitamins and protein to help her cope, but since this is an injury and not a genetic problem I can't seem to find anything. She can grab hard boiled egg yolks, but she can't grab the whites - so I know this is affecting her ability to eat.

I had also trimmed her top beak a few days ago as it was a bit long, and flat on the end (not pointed). Right now her top beak is a bit shorter than normal and flat still. I'm hoping she hones it into a pointed beak this time.

Attachments

• Head1.png
    Head1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • Head2.JPG
    Head2.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Okay so I checked on her again. It's her lower jaw that's dislocated. Somehow it is slightly off, as you can see in the images I uploaded. Still not sure what to do.

Right now she isn't hungry and has a full crop so I'm just letting her rest with the others. They seem fine with her being with them.

Hi, sorry this happened to your lovely girl. I cannot help you in regards of
her beak. Bless her. But someone on here will reply soon to help you, i am sure.
You say, she has trouble with whites of egg. Maybe try her with boiled eggs and
put them through a blender, with a little plain yogurt, and add some fresh chopped
herbs with it. Parsley is good ect. Tuna too, whatever you feel is good for her. And
what she likes. If you put all her food through blender, it may help her, as then it will
be soft, and easier to grab it. At least you know then she is getting the vitamins and
protein, until you get help for her beak issue. Someone on here will help you soon.
Good luck.

UPDATE: She can do most things with her beak that she'd normally do. I've seen her preening herself and eating the crumbled feed, and she also can drink water, but I haven't seen her drink any. I gave her the vitamins and I also gave her some water. I had to convince her to take the vitamins, but she did drink the water willingly, but only a little bit.

My main concern is that if her jaw isn't treated soon she'll make it worse by using it. Should I try to re-align it and wrap it with something like vetwrap overnight and see how she is at dawn? She might panic having something like that on her beak though.

Back
Top Bottom