50 chicks too many??

They do get BIG really quick and the do make a huge mess, but keeping them all warm, safe and comfortable is what it is all about. I say go for it too, you have plenty of space and you will prob. have 50% roos to cull. The big mess will just be motivation for the coop to get finished quicker. Enjoy your chick shopping, and yep, you'll love all the chicken soup you may end up with..............I think I'll start a pot now. YUM.

I have 30 baby chicks, and so far it seems to be going well. I have 5-6 different breeds some I don't know what they are - but it will be fun to find out. I know that I have some cornish, polish, americauners and astrlorps, black something and red something and I think orphingtons maybe, oh and a few bantams.... I got alot ofthem fro tractopr supply - and they don't know what they had - so they are my surprise birddss, lol Hopefully I don't end up with a whole bunch of roosters. I keep my baby chcicks in a big black tub that is about 5 long and 3 feet wide and have a light on them at night and whwn it is cool, during the day I turn it off because it gets really hot outside here in central texas. I'm already having lot's of fun with them and they are all doing well. I've been cleaning the tub out about every 3 -4 days and put fresh pine shavings in each time - seems to be working well

I am starting my first flock with 34. We also wanted to "try out" several different breeds. We had 8 for the first week (bad shipment) then they reshipped 20 and now I have another 6 coming of two breeds that I couldn't get with the original hatchery. There is a SIGNIFICANT increase in the mess, number of butts to check for pasty butt, frequency of water and bedding changes, and NOISE (the teenagers had a party in the brooder last night, what a mess
big_smile.png
) etc. I started with a pretty huge brooder, so space has not been a concern. I am, so far, happy at having this many. I am beginning to wonder what I will be doing with all the eggs, but this week I have had at least a dozen (pardon the pun) folks ask about getting eggs. There are a lot of hungry people in this area and I since I am able to, I will be donating at least half of the eggs to a local church to feed the needy. I figure, I get to have a really great flock of birds, kids get to have a decent breakfast, win win.

our order this spring from cackle was 125...

and then I went and bought 9 silkie/cochins...

oh and I had already bought 10 at chickdays because I couldn't wait for the 125...

I already have 30 layers and 10 ducks...

The incubator has 2 dozen duck eggs and a few chicken eggs in it and I have a broody EE sitting on 14 eggs (due on Sunday)

So 50? doesn't seem like too many to me but I may be weird
wink.png

50 chicks is a lot, however, I always dive in head first to my projects. If I had the room, I would have at least 50 chickens. However, I do not, so I control myself and get 2 of each breed I like. I have people beating my door down for eggs and can never meet the demand with the dozen or so chickens I usually have. I would say if you have the room, the time, the energy and the means to care for them, then do it. Why not?

My suggestion:

1) Decide on how many you want TOTAL.
2) Order HALF that many.
3) Build your coop/run to hold TWICE #1
4) Enjoy the look of horror on your husband's face when he realizes you are out of control.

Welcome to chicken math.

I don't mean to be a negative Nellie, but that is ALOT of chicks! You will be surprised at how fast they grow, how much they will eat, and how much they will POOP! Just remember, although chicks are a joy to have, the more chickens you have, the more work you have to do to keep them properly fed, keep things clean, and keep them healthy....

Maybe you could just make it 25 for now.......5 different breeds and 5 chicks each.......I recommend going slowly......

Good luck with your decision!

I don't know how you guys have that many chickens....I have bantams and was just out there cleaning the coop and run which is a muddy gross mess from all the rain and I am getting nervous that I have 9 babies inside, kinda like what was I thinking?? Just remember they grow up to be adults, eat more, poop more.....some days I wish I had stayed with the few that I had
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom