50 pounds of pellets a month?

Sounds like quite a bit, if by out all day you mean free range. Are you closing the food up at night? My flock which consists of waterfowl (who are part pig) stretch a 50lb bag about 6 weeks...which I expect to change once the grass and weeds die off for winter, but for now I'm loving it!

My thoughts are you have either wild birds sneaking a lot of their food, or possibly mice or rats.

I go through quite a bit. I have about that many layers left and they eat a full scoop of feed a day AND still want more. They also free range all over the yard and into the field.

Get a wide pan and feed half of what you are feeding but add enough water to make it a thick porridge. Mine go crazy over it. I did this over the summer when money was tight.

They free range. The Coop run is open all day but locked up at night. I don't believe that pests can get in at night. The feeder hangs underneath their coop.

They are a little wasteful but I will keep another eye on them this month and see. I'll move the game camera closer to their food to see if anything is getting in there. The camera has picked up FAT skunks at night but, they cannot get in at that time.

They love treats too... I'm not sure if they are just over-eating or what but they do forage all the time.

I don't have chickens anymore, but when I had at least 40 layers, plus assorted others, I was feeding 50# per day.
If the feeder is outside, at night, I would empty it. You would be surprised at who can get at it during the night.
free ranging is relative. if there is plenty of forage, fine. but if the foraging is sparse, you will be feeding more.
....jiminwisc......

ETA: keep in mind that you have large breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom