$500 zoning appliation fee???????

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Sunne73, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Does this seem right to anyone? It will cost me $500.00 just to apply to make a change to the zoning ordinance in my Township. Is it like this everywhere or do I live in the land of schisters?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Such fees are a way of preventing frivolous requests. Not saying it's a lot of fun, but such a request will require the time of secretaries, paper files, document prep, mailings, etc. Thus the charge. Getting a variance to one's zoning is not a walk in the park. Municipalities are not motivated to do it very often. They follow the "master plan". I wish you well in your pursuit.

3. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    Yes it does seem pretty steep. Seems like a fine versus a fee. They are making it difficult, not impossible to "fight city hall. "

I wish you well on this task to obtain the right to have the birds of your choosing on your property.

4. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    $500 has to accompany the application, before any secretaries or meetings even take place and they can just veto it and HA HA sucka we got your money! I understand that money talks and there are justifiable fees that may be required for time to make such changes to ordinances but we already pay one of the highest % rates to live in our rural area, don't get any benefits of in-town living like recycle pick-up etc and now I don't even have the right to sustain my family with eggs and milk...I am livid.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Crazy what the fees are when it comes to property stuff. A number of years ago we wanted to shift the line between our two adjacent lots to make them about the same size. Well, the application fee for the type/size of land was 2k+. So we passed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by