I should know it by sight but it has just been too too long since my herpetology-lab grad school days
tongue.png
I am going to guess rat snake?

But I wanted to say that a number of kinds of totally nonpoisonous snakes will vibrate the tailtip in a rattlesnake-like manner.

Pat

Rat snakes are quite common, and they eat more than just rodents
smile.png
-- they are wonderful snakes and I am *not not not* encouraging you to kill or remove 'em, but you might make sure your nest boxes are reasonably secure or at least uninviting to snakes, as one of the things they do on occasion eat in nature is birds' eggs.

They're really nice snakes, tho
smile.png

Pat

We have many black snakes and king snakes where I live. I have noticed on several occasions that a black snake or a king snake will shake his tail like a rattle snake when he feels threatned.

I am sure not all of them do but I have witnessed this myself on many occasions.

I have no clue why they do it unless they want you to think they are a rattlesnake and leave them alone.

Darin

That is a Ratsnake, look at the shape of his head and the scales on it they easily differentiate Kings from Rats. As for species/subspecies I'm not entirely sure. It's coloration looks like possibly an integrade of a few subspecies, or it could be a locality thing.

Anyway, my pet Ratsnakes act like rattlesnakes all the time. If you startle them, they rattle their tail tip against the substrate and it is a pretty convincing sound! Ratsnakes are wonderful animals, whatever you do, don't kill it.

Are you 100% sure it wasn't venemous? I live in Arkansas and it appears the rattlesnakes here have been breeding with the black snakes. Honestly, I have never seen one, but have heard several people who claim they have.

Back
Top Bottom