55 Flowery vs Swedish Flower - same thing?

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Are these 2 the same breed? I'm kind of confused they have a lot of similarities.

And please let me know your experience with them. Looking for friendly (to people and flock) to add to my small backyard flock. They are pets so I care most about temperment and long lifespan.

they may look similar, but the 55 Flowery was developed by a breeder, and the Swedish Flower evolved without breeders in southern Sweden (and there is an organisation in Sweden to try to preserve it) so their genetics are probably quite different.

I can't speak to 55 Flowery, but Swedish Flowers form the core of my flock, and I love them. I have added several other breeds over the years, but the SFH are my favourite. My oldest roo (my avatar) arrived here supposedly a pullet in 2018. He's still here. My oldest hen (came a month later as replacement for the other roo I got in first batch) likewise. Re: petting, I don't handle my birds unless absolutely necessary - they free range dawn-dusk and my philosophy is to let them live as naturally as possible. He survived a fox attack in 2020, and during his recovery learned to trust me. His son took over as dom, and he's been a subordinate since. Currently he's being harassed by 3 young roos, so comes in to feed in peace, either hops in and walks to the utility room or stands by my legs and I carry him. Meanwhile (despite her age) she laid over 120 eggs last year, 6 of which were set under a broody, 5 hatched, and all are thriving; 3 laying, 2 either laying and hiding their eggs or yet to start laying. This is 3 of them on bug patrol last November.
DSC01524.JPG

they may look similar, but the 55 Flowery was developed by a breeder, and the Swedish Flower evolved without breeders in southern Sweden (and there is an organisation in Sweden to try to preserve it) so their genetics are probably quite different.

I can't speak to 55 Flowery, but Swedish Flowers form the core of my flock, and I love them. I have added several other breeds over the years, but the SFH are my favourite. My oldest roo (my avatar) arrived here supposedly a pullet in 2018. He's still here. My oldest hen (came a month later as replacement for the other roo I got in first batch) likewise. Re: petting, I don't handle my birds unless absolutely necessary - they free range dawn-dusk and my philosophy is to let them live as naturally as possible. He survived a fox attack in 2020, and during his recovery learned to trust me. His son took over as dom, and he's been a subordinate since. Currently he's being harassed by 3 young roos, so comes in to feed in peace, either hops in and walks to the utility room or stands by my legs and I carry him. Meanwhile (despite her age) she laid over 120 eggs last year, 6 of which were set under a broody, 5 hatched, and all are thriving; 3 laying, 2 either laying and hiding their eggs or yet to start laying. This is 3 of them on bug patrol last November.
View attachment 3390547
Thank you for the response. They sound wonderful! Especially your sweet roo. (Although I can't have roosters where I live). Now I need to see if I can find pullets anywhere...looking for some around 10 weeks old.

I believe they are different.
As @Perris says, the Swedish Flower Hen is a landrace breed from Sweden whereas the 55 Flowers were developed by a breeder called Martin Silverudd (confusingly in Sweden) using Leghorns to get prolific laying.
The first is rare (endangered) the 55s seem to be readily available from hatcheries in the US.
I am not an expert but did some research as I was interested in having Swedish Flower Hens in my flock.
Here are links for Greenfire Farm that describes each breed.
https://greenfirefarms.com/swedish_...are prolific layers,are perfect for the table

https://greenfirefarms.com/55_flowery_hen.html

welcome to BYC @Mantascon :frow

It's a good idea to do some research before posting what you think might be the answer to someone's question on here, as we're here to help each other, not confuse each other, ideally. As stated earlier in the thread, and now with links to other resources where you can read up about them, Swedish Flowers are not the same thing as 55 Flowery.

Another useful site with an enormous list of chicken breeds is this https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html
Chickens, alphabetically by breed, occurs about half way down the page.

Back
Top Bottom