55 gallon Water nipple system + Gravity fed Feeding tube...

Quote:
When they peck at it.. it squirts water into their beak.. they drink.. then they peck again.. it's really amazing how quickly they took to it. I was worried they might not, or it would take too long & could risk getting too thirsty. But that wasn't even an issue. Maybe 15 mins before 1 tried it out.. then once they saw her... well you know how chickens are!

Last edited:
Quote:
Just to clarify from those posts, high water pressure doesn't cause them to leak. Leaking is caused by clogged or worn out nipples. The problem with the pressure being too high is that the nipples deliver too much water when triggered by the birds, more than they can drink. For an outdoor installation like yours, that may be fine. For an indoor installation it can cause problems. If for every drop that a bird drinks, another drop goes on the ground, it can get messy rather quickly. For somebody that has 20 birds that drink a gallon a day, that can be another gallon or more on the floor, everyday...

Nice job!

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the pipe that the feed goes into that is inside the coop? I built on of these and put in on a tilt and cannot get the feed to continuously slide down to the end. I did not use the elongated elbow and it doesn't look like you did either and it also doesn't look like you have it tilted at all.

Also how does the rain water get into the barrel? It looks like the lid is on it. Do you have a problem with dust and dirt getting in and clogging the nipples?

Last edited:
Will this work in the winter? I mean, will the water freeze at the nipple? I am sure a heater can be put in the 55 gallon drum. Just wondering about the freezing.

Quote:
I planned on shutting it down in the winter.. and going back to the water bucket. I might be able to heat the water, wrap the hose & PCV with heat tape.. or similar.. but I wasn't planning on messing with it.

Last edited:
Quote:
The pipe extention is 16" So far, all is working perfectly.. maybe moisture is getting into yours? Only a guess, not sure.

Regarding the rainbarrel I do not have my guttering installed yet.. so the only water that gets in there is what I add. But even if I never added anything else.. having 55 gallons of water inbetween fillups, and no way that they can get poo in there.. is 100% better than the previous method.. for me.

Regarding the feeding tube I do plan on sealing around the base of the pipe where it goes into the coop with Silicon before I repaint the coop to make sure no water gets in through that opening.

Last edited:
Nice job! I'm going to have to give this a try. I don't have water to my coop either but we do have a 325 gallon plastic holding tank that I have to fill as needed then I just fill thier waterers out of it so we are/were kinda in the same boat.

Quote:
The pipe extention is 16" So far, all is working perfectly.. maybe moisture is getting into yours? Only a guess, not sure.

Regarding the rainbarrel I do not have my guttering installed yet.. so the only water that gets in there is what I add. But even if I never added anything else.. having 55 gallons of water inbetween fillups, and no way that they can get poo in there.. is 100% better than the previous method.. for me.

Regarding the feeding tube I do plan on sealing around the base of the pipe where it goes into the coop with Silicon before I repaint the coop to make sure no water gets in through that opening.

Mine is completely inside the coop so no moisture. I am gonna jack around with it some more. I will make it work!!!!

Back
Top Bottom