5mg ivermectin on rabbit: how do I apply it ?

Magapoule

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
Canada, Quebec
Hi guys !
I just took a rabbit home, I Saved him from being transform into meat...
I have 5mg Ivermectin at home...the one for cattle’s, the pour on... I wanted to know if someone would know the dosage and how do I apply it ?! Can I inject it to him ?
Thanks in advance !

Hi guys !
I just took a rabbit home, I Saved him from being transform into meat...
I have 5mg Ivermectin at home...the one for cattle’s, the pour on... I wanted to know if someone would know the dosage and how do I apply it ?! Can I inject it to him ?
Thanks in advance !

Hi, I just went through this for rabbits. I agree with @casportpony, if it's topical, don't inject it. I'd be worried about the carriers and staph. I think if someone is bent on injecting, they should get the sterile type meant for such.

I went with the oral paste. I've seen a lot of scuttle saying "rice grain size" piece. Instant, white, brown, long grain, jasmine.....? From my fragile little understanding, a one time overdose is not a big concern, so long as it is reasonable. Lethal dose is well above the mg/kg of the recommended dosage. With that said, the chronic effects of multiple, long term overdoses, or too frequent proper doses, could be pretty bad. At this point as far as I know Ivermectin hasn't been studied on rabbits, with dogs it has been found toxic in some herding dog breeds. So whether it's one in ten-thousand or one in a million, there's a possibility for issues just from genetics. Topically, what they hadn't absorbed yet could be washed off, orally activated carbon is the treatment.

The paste is 1.87%, I diluted it to the point were it was one cc per 5 lbs. I measure the initial paste by sucking it into a syringe, it took a couple tries to avoid guess work and air pockets. It was water soluble for the most part, I end up adding about 2 cc's of 50% alcohol (to a mix of about 60 cc total) and stirring to dissolve a few stray carrier oils at the top. I am not going to give ratio's as I mixed one batch and treated my dogs to prevent heartworm at the same time, and it's actually slightly lower than recommended for stock animals. One of my dogs is over 16, and has a better life than many children, I wouldn't give him anything I thought was risky in the slightest.

The paste runs $3 of the shelf here, basically enough to do 1250 lbs of mammal.

Hopefully all that was helpful, it's several hours of searching and sorting the wheat from the tares.

Back
Top Bottom