5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

I don't even believe it, but every fertile egg I have has made it to lockdown! The leghorns were confirmed infertile by the breeder so those I don't count. To my mind I had twelve eggs that ever would have developed, and I have twelve eggs in lockdown! I'm really excited. This is using my homemade incubator since my LG hates me and kills eggs left and right when I try to use it.

For those with humidity and temp issues, I use an accurite digital thermometer/hydrometer that I bought at Walmart for like eight dollars, and it is very accurate and works like a charm. I've used it on every hatch I've ever had. I'm a reptile person as well, and these are the things that are recommended for use with reptiles. If you're familiar with how touchy reptiles are and how carefully you need to maintain their environments, you know that's a really good endorsement. You can see it here in this picture of my eggs before the infertile leghorns were removed. It's the little black rectangle on the left.

I have two of those. They won't calibrate outside, but I think indoors they do better. I'm checking them now against my indoor weather station.

OMG OMG OMG! (You are witnessing a nearly 40 year old man dancing for joy ala Snoopy...)

We got home a little while ago and heard more peeping. Then there was a tremendous PEEEEEEEEEppeeppeeeppeeeeep and two grown men were racing each other to the incubator. Guess what we saw, at 3:10?

Why, hello there little one. You're early!

Twenty minutes later, at 3:30 on the nose, we had this:

And here's the shell from the first egg that I bred (ever) and hatched (ever)!

And yes, I do have a thing for leopard print, why do you ask?

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif

I have two of those. They won't calibrate outside, but I think indoors they do better. I'm checking them now against my indoor weather station.
I looked them up online. They claim to accurate within but not extremely accurate. So while I'm sure there are greatly accurate ones out there, I'm also sure there are some out there that will provide the 5 degrees off reading.

6 of 8 Marans in the bator have hatched. I checked the broody who has 3 and 1 has hatched. These were set on the 9th. Eggs set on the 11th are just sitting quietly so far.
Ok..time for me to start some happy dances I see! Congratulations!!

It seems like a lot of people have rocking, peeping, pipping, etc. going on. Are those eggs set on the 11th? I'm getting confused, so it would help if a set time was given if the eggs were set early, so others don't feel like they're behind if they set on the 11th. :confused:

OMG OMG OMG! (You are witnessing a nearly 40 year old man dancing for joy ala Snoopy...)

We got home a little while ago and heard more peeping. Then there was a tremendous PEEEEEEEEEppeeppeeeppeeeeep and two grown men were racing each other to the incubator. Guess what we saw, at 3:10?

Why, hello there little one. You're early!

Twenty minutes later, at 3:30 on the nose, we had this:

And here's the shell from the first egg that I bred (ever) and hatched (ever)!

And yes, I do have a thing for leopard print, why do you ask?

wee.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif
Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom