5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR A CHICK TO HATCH?!??!??!?!??!? LOL

im sooooooooooooooooooooo impatient!

its been just about 3 hours, and I set a 24 hour timer the moment I saw the pip....which was a few seconds after it happened....I am puppy guarding this incubator! LOL

I relly want to know HOW LONG does a full hatch of one egg take? it would be COOLIO to know!

What dead birds?
Our house sitter neglected to do the required chores.
somad.gif
I'm probably lucky only 7 died from starvation and dehydration. Of course, I'm still waiting to see who will keel over from a heart attack after gorging on the food and water. That's what I mean by dead birds. Neglect makes me furious especially when it happens to MY stock!

somad.gif
I'm probably lucky only 7 died from starvation and dehydration. Of course, I'm still waiting to see who will keel over from a heart attack after gorging on the food and water. That's what I mean by dead birds. Neglect makes me furious especially when it happens to MY stock!

OMG! im SOOOOOOOO sorry about what happened!

good thing we are hatching to relplace those dead birds....but STILL if one of my birds died because no one fed it while I was away...

ill never see this blue guy again!
v
smack.gif

6 of 8 Marans in the bator have hatched. I checked the broody who has 3 and 1 has hatched. These were set on the 9th. Eggs set on the 11th are just sitting quietly so far.
Congrats!
celebrate.gif

I GOT A PIP!!!!!!!!
it was my silkies FIRST egg and it was placed 4 hour after all others! today is ONLY DAY 19!
Yay!! Can't wait to see pics of the little fluff-nugget out of it's egg! Go go little silkie!

What with coming home from a trip and discovering dead birds, I've had a rough day. Now I'm thinking all sorts of panic thoughts about the incubator. Set eggs 12:08 am on the 12th so almost the 11th. Figured since it was technically the 12th that it was okay to lock down today.

I put them big-end-up in the cartons with the bottoms cut out. That looks like a good idea. Then I read that I should have candled. Well I'm afraid to handle them now. I did lock down, raised humidity and all at 7:00 a.m. Should I go candle now? Leave them alone? Humidity readings are 67% and 88% percent so I figure it's over 70%. We have the fan incubator (HB 1588).

Should I just leave everything alone and hope for the best?
Dead birds?!? Oh no! What happened? As for candling, it isn't a requirement to candle before lockdown. Some people just like to do it. I'm sure your eggs will be fine in there as they are.

I candled before I entered lockdown, and traced the air cell. I put them in the carton tilted, so the part of the air cell that dips down is as close to the top as I could. They are moving, though (apparently), because some of them are straight up and down again, and that's not how I set them in there.

Apparently they had their own ideas of how they wanted to sit!
gig.gif

I don't even believe it, but every fertile egg I have has made it to lockdown! The leghorns were confirmed infertile by the breeder so those I don't count. To my mind I had twelve eggs that ever would have developed, and I have twelve eggs in lockdown! I'm really excited. This is using my homemade incubator since my LG hates me and kills eggs left and right when I try to use it.

For those with humidity and temp issues, I use an accurite digital thermometer/hydrometer that I bought at Walmart for like eight dollars, and it is very accurate and works like a charm. I've used it on every hatch I've ever had. I'm a reptile person as well, and these are the things that are recommended for use with reptiles. If you're familiar with how touchy reptiles are and how carefully you need to maintain their environments, you know that's a really good endorsement. You can see it here in this picture of my eggs before the infertile leghorns were removed. It's the little black rectangle on the left.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR A CHICK TO HATCH?!??!??!?!??!? LOL

im sooooooooooooooooooooo impatient!

its been just about 3 hours, and I set a 24 hour timer the moment I saw the pip....which was a few seconds after it happened....I am puppy guarding this incubator! LOL

I relly want to know HOW LONG does a full hatch of one egg take? it would be COOLIO to know!

My first chick pipped at 3 pm and didn't hatch till 8am the next morning, that's fairly typical. Occasionally, they will pip and zip much quicker, but that's not as common.

Our house sitter neglected to do the required chores. :mad:  I'm probably lucky only 7 died from starvation and dehydration.  Of course, I'm still waiting to see who will keel over from a heart attack after gorging on the food and water. That's what I mean by dead birds.  Neglect makes me furious especially when it happens to MY stock!

That's horrifying! I'm so sorry.

I don't even believe it, but every fertile egg I have has made it to lockdown! The leghorns were confirmed infertile by the breeder so those I don't count. To my mind I had twelve eggs that ever would have developed, and I have twelve eggs in lockdown! I'm really excited. This is using my homemade incubator since my LG hates me and kills eggs left and right when I try to use it.

For those with humidity and temp issues, I use an accurite digital thermometer/hydrometer that I bought at Walmart for like eight dollars, and it is very accurate and works like a charm. I've used it on every hatch I've ever had. I'm a reptile person as well, and these are the things that are recommended for use with reptiles. If you're familiar with how touchy reptiles are and how carefully you need to maintain their environments, you know that's a really good endorsement. You can see it here in this picture of my eggs before the infertile leghorns were removed. It's the little black rectangle on the left.

AWESOME NEWS! I had 24 eggs.....well, 12 made it to lockdown.....most were fertile, but yet some were duds.

the were probably in my breeders fridge longer than he had thought.

somad.gif
Oh no! That is horrible!
hit.gif
I am so sorry.
hugs.gif
I can only imagine how devastated and furious you must be right now.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom