5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

LOL
big_smile.png
So glad we have connected over our chickens! Does she look good?? She is still so small. The only bantams I have had is cochins and they grew so much faster!

She looks great. Time will tell. The wait is the hard part, LOL.
smile.png

You guys ready for spring yet,,,?:lau  Waving a BIG WARM HAND from Fairbanks Alaska..:thumbsup Where its warmer here 150 mile from the Arctic Circle than it is 75% of you... PEACE>>>

You are just wrong for that. Lol. I live in central Georgia and I had foot long icecicles (sp) hanging off my roof. Pretty sure my butt froze off while I was thawing chicken and rabbit waters.....

smilies-3434.png

It is time for winners!

Best Hatch Rate: First Place @Wisher1000 94% Set hatch rate.
Second Place: @draye 81% Set hatch rate

Worst hatch rate: @Pennyhen with 0 with 26 set.

I will contact you with prize information.

I will announce the two winners for the Cutest Chick hatched after I eat dinner! It is a Pot Pie and the stock was made from home made Rabbit and Turkey.

91.gif

Wow! Thanks everyone for the "congratulations" and my best to Draye! Pennyhen, condolences to you but hang in there! On my very first hatch (and very first hatchalong) I won Worst hatch and still have the precious crocheted chicken that was the prize.

I wish (there I go again) that I could take credit for being good at hatching, but I have to give all the credit to my new Sportsman 1500 Cabinet Incubator. It is truly "set it and forget it" easy. I highly recommend it to all (and I am not being compensated in any way by GQF!)

sorry been busy with my new baby grand chick lol and helping a hurt dog my dog found and adopting it and a Big CONGRATS to all winners and congrats to all with new lil fluffy butts ...
woot.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif

I have stolen this and will be sending it to my sister in Anchorage Alaska momentarily! Thank you soooo much ;P

Bator update -- ok so I'm having to continue to assist the green egg - it's peeping was getting weaker so I candled & made a larger pip near the beak, the chick is malpositioned (would not have ever piped) the air cell is overly large for the egg (humidity too low first part of set) so I'm continuing to assist this one -- it is a mutt EE headed for layer flock to make eating eggs, NOT future breeding so no harm if I get a fowl ;> out of this egg, just to be clear on what I'm doing messing w/ it anyway. I foresee having to do likewise w/ the peeping large brown egg, candled & its air cell also appears way too high a % of the total egg <sigh> again mutt OE destined to lay eggs or be dinner , might as well save them if they are viable, the fault of their situation is clearly the incubation, and their siblings a few inches over in the temp. brooder are doing fantastic so more of same and a larger group for body heat when they do move outdoors would be a _good_ thing!

Helping is a personal call. I can't stand it if I know it needs help. Most of the ones I help end up doing well. Like you said, the problem was with my incubation, not the chick itself. But then there are the ones that I help that weren't really supposed to hatch. When that happens, I swear off ever helping again............until the next one needs me..........
hu.gif

Helping is a personal call. I can't stand it if I know it needs help. Most of the ones I help end up doing well. Like you said, the problem was with my incubation, not the chick itself. But then there are the ones that I help that weren't really supposed to hatch. When that happens, I swear off ever helping again............until the next one needs me..........
hu.gif

I am right there with you.

I do not go to extraordinary measures though and I cull if they seem to be suffering.

I was going to cull an RIR Pullet this summer that was acting sick but my middle daughter said to give her a bit longer. She recovered and is fine now.

Back
Top Bottom