5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

If she is breathing I would give her a few more hours. But it is definitely your call.

I had one that pipped on new years eve, well new years day it was just after midnight and she made no progress and showed no movement at all. She finally hatched this morn at 330am so from pip to hatch was 27hrs.

She finally zipped and hatched. She had a really hard time, though, pushing out of the egg. That being said, I don't know if it is what caused this issue or not...hoping someone on here can shed some light and suggest a solution.

Her toes and feet are curled inward. It's been roughly an hour since she hatched. The first two to hatch were dry, and since I have no pips on the last two eggs, I took them out and put them in the brooder...all the four that had already hatched were trampling all over the newborn. Stepping on her head, on her feet, pecking her butt. So the first two are now in the brooder, which means two less to pick on her.

Anyhoo, here's some pics. One foot is worse than the other. Will it straighten itself out? I've never dealt with this before, please help!

She finally zipped and hatched. She had a really hard time, though, pushing out of the egg. That being said, I don't know if it is what caused this issue or not...hoping someone on here can shed some light and suggest a solution. Her toes and feet are curled inward. It's been roughly an hour since she hatched. The first two to hatch were dry, and since I have no pips on the last two eggs, I took them out and put them in the brooder...all the four that had already hatched were trampling all over the newborn. Stepping on her head, on her feet, pecking her butt. So the first two are now in the brooder, which means two less to pick on her. Anyhoo, here's some pics. One foot is worse than the other. Will it straighten itself out? I've never dealt with this before, please help!
I had a silkie hatch like that. She did fine in the brooder but when I moved them to the grow out pen after about a week the others had bullied it to death. :( if it were me I'd go ahead and cull. But you can wait it out for a week or 2 and see how it goes.

Last edited:
She finally zipped and hatched. She had a really hard time, though, pushing out of the egg. That being said, I don't know if it is what caused this issue or not...hoping someone on here can shed some light and suggest a solution.

Her toes and feet are curled inward. It's been roughly an hour since she hatched. The first two to hatch were dry, and since I have no pips on the last two eggs, I took them out and put them in the brooder...all the four that had already hatched were trampling all over the newborn. Stepping on her head, on her feet, pecking her butt. So the first two are now in the brooder, which means two less to pick on her.

Anyhoo, here's some pics. One foot is worse than the other. Will it straighten itself out? I've never dealt with this before, please help!

Her feet don't look too bad to me. She just needs time to get her footing. Her one foot does look a little bit more awkward I would just keep an eye on her but in my opinion I think she will be ok.

I had a silkie hatch like that. She did fine in the brooder but when I moved them to the grow out pen after about a week the others had bullied it to death.
sad.png
if it were me I'd go ahead and cull. But you can wait it out for a week or 2 and see how it goes.

My goodness, I certainly did not expect cull as an answer. I just did a BYC search on curled toes, and found tons of posts where it was corrected by making a sandal out of cardboard...

Why would you suggest culling the chick??

Her feet don't look too bad to me. She just needs time to get her footing. Her one foot does look a little bit more awkward I would just keep an eye on her but in my opinion I think she will be ok.

Ok, I will. Thanks. I looked up posts about it, and found that with some cardboard and bandaids, I can create a boot or sandal that will correct the problem...IF it doesn't straighten out.

My goodness, I certainly did not expect cull as an answer. I just did a BYC search on curled toes, and found tons of posts where it was corrected by making a sandal out of cardboard...

Ok, I will. Thanks. I looked up posts about it, and found that with some cardboard and bandaids, I can create a boot or sandal that will correct the problem...IF it doesn't straighten out.
simply because of the issues mine had. I wasn't trying to upset anyone! I have 3 kids, I work and my husband is an otr truck driver so if mine can't make it on their own I can't baby them like I would prefer. I just said that's what I would do not what you should do.

Doesn't look bad at all
wink.png
I have found that when they take a long time to hatch the toes get stiff and curl. I just sandwich the toes between two pieces of blue painters tape for a day or two and the toes straighten out.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

only the strong survive folks,, ONLY the Strong< ALASKAN MOTTO<<<Only the WARM SURVIVE<<<<<Peace,,,
True but how can you be warm in these temps.

I've had a couple like that. One of them was caused by being shrink wrapped and the foot was stuck in a curled position and glued to the shell. After much pushing in that position it messed it up. One time I made splints out of plastic plant labels, tape and vet wrap as both feet had issues.. I thought it would firm up as it grew but it failed and had to be culled. Actually the legs started to show other afflictions the longer it was out of the shell.
It is rare for one to straighten out on it's own if it is like that after the first 3 days.
Culling is the most humane as they won't have any quality of life.

Back
Top Bottom