5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Thankfully so far my newest addition seems to be good,put in with rest of NY's babies;
then proceeded to break the 250 watt bulb.
All are huddled in a big pile under the less strong red lamp can't get to the store till tomorrow.
Covered bin I use for brooder with top, lined corner with foil to help keep in some more heat.
moved rest of unhatched eggs that were due yesterday - before the temp dropped down to a pretty constant 90 +/- added hot water for humidity and to bring temp back up.
Just hoping beyond hope, I will be blessed again.
fl.gif

well, this thread is coming to its stop......im going to keep posting so I can share and keep updates with you all.....WILL YOU PLEASE DO THE SAME WITH ME?!?!??!

I haven't had the time to take pictures of my chicks.....8 days old and they have their wings all feathered in! wow they grow so fast! I learned 2 of my 3 silkies are frizzles! my white and partridge! well, guess I cant show my white silkie after all! a crooked toe, and now a frizzle! hahaha. im so ecstatic to have frizzles! 17 chickens now.....just have to get this second coop finished! ill post pictures for all you guys once its done.....im actuailly building it off of another BYCer's coop page! im creating a coop page for my coop, saying its inspired bu them, and im going to list my measurements and tell what I did differently. IM SO EXCITED!

ok, now for talking all about ME, how are YOU ALL doing?

~Bantambury

Yes! I will post pictures of my NYD Babies Weekly. First picture today!

so I woke up this morning and realized that my chicks were getting way to big for their brooder and with this weather its going to be a bit until they can go outside... so I built them a bigger brooder! I used all scrap wood we had around from various projects and some hardware cloth we had around. so now my babies are in the basement in a 10 sq foot brooder :)

I'm still making sure they are comfortable with where the light is and all that. I'm a little concerned tho because one chick sits directly under the light and pants... I'm not sure why he doesn't just go to a cooler spot..

so I woke up this morning and realized that my chicks were getting way to big for their brooder and with this weather its going to be a bit until they can go outside... so I built them a bigger brooder! I used all scrap wood we had around from various projects and some hardware cloth we had around. so now my babies are in the basement in a 10 sq foot brooder
smile.png

I'm still making sure they are comfortable with where the light is and all that. I'm a little concerned tho because one chick sits directly under the light and pants... I'm not sure why he doesn't just go to a cooler spot..
That is a nice setup!

Still working on the late set hatch which was due Today oddly enough.

2 out for 2 days already, doing great (1 Lg brown egg chick twice the size of the med green (pullet) egg)

2 worked on hatching all yesterday & today , another 1 each Lg brown & med green eggs, assisted some due to humidity problems, the appear ok & just got moved to the brooder w/ the other 4 (2 wk older from NYDH)

Meanwhile I have 3 more in progress:
2- Lg Cream (maybe my SFH pullet??), both started piping & 1 started zipping this am - neither totally out of the shell yet but close...

then the 3rd green egg piped!

3 additional Lg brown eggs no action so far but hey they are only actually due today so who knows what might happen, obviously there were some hot/cold spot issues in the still air LG (go figure).

<still no photos, really will get on that tomorrow b/f they are grown birds laying eggs >

& Yes, I'll continue to post until all the eggs I set are resolved.
Then I'll do like last year, a follow up post when I get my 1st EGG layed from the NYDH pullets! Hope others will do likewise, it is very interesting to see when the different breeds & mixes actually start to lay...

2 out for 2 days already, doing great (1 Lg brown egg chick twice the size of the med green (pullet) egg)

2 worked on hatching all yesterday & today , another 1 each Lg brown & med green eggs, assisted some due to humidity problems, the appear ok & just got moved to the brooder w/ the other 4 (2 wk older from NYDH)

2- Lg Cream (maybe my SFH pullet??), both started piping & 1 started zipping this am - neither totally out of the shell yet but close...

3 additional Lg brown eggs no action so far but hey they are only actually due today so who knows what might happen, obviously there were some hot/cold spot issues in the still air LG (go figure).

<still no photos, really will get on that tomorrow b/f they are grown birds laying eggs >

Then I'll do like last year, a follow up post when I get my 1st EGG layed from the NYDH pullets! Hope others will do likewise, it is very interesting to see when the different breeds & mixes actually start to lay...
fl.gif
I am pulling for you!

Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom