5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Well no baby siblings for Hawke today.
sad.png
A flight got cancelled and they were returned to the hatchery. Now I am sad.

sad.png

Oh no sorry to hear that. But thank goodness they were responsible and returned the babies to the hatchery. Was there anyone part of the hatch a long that lives close by to you that might part with a chick or 2? Have you checked all of your local feed stores even in surrounding towns? Some might still carry chicks especially if the chicks were brought to them from a local person.

Baby Hawke is getting siblings tomorrow!! Yay! I can't wait.....praying and fingers crossed that they arrive alive and healthy.
Cool! What breed/s and how many?

well, this thread is coming to its stop......im going to keep posting so I can share and keep updates with you all.....WILL YOU PLEASE DO THE SAME WITH ME?!?!??!

I haven't had the time to take pictures of my chicks.....8 days old and they have their wings all feathered in! wow they grow so fast! I learned 2 of my 3 silkies are frizzles! my white and partridge! well, guess I cant show my white silkie after all! a crooked toe, and now a frizzle! hahaha. im so ecstatic to have frizzles! 17 chickens now.....just have to get this second coop finished! ill post pictures for all you guys once its done.....im actuailly building it off of another BYCer's coop page! im creating a coop page for my coop, saying its inspired bu them, and im going to list my measurements and tell what I did differently. IM SO EXCITED!

ok, now for talking all about ME, how are YOU ALL doing?

~Bantambury
Most of the other hatch-a-long threads seem to stay alive months if not years after hatch date.

then proceeded to break the 250 watt bulb.

Just hoping beyond hope, I will be blessed again.
fl.gif
Just one of the reasons to like the ceramic (or ecoglow).

Good luck.

so I woke up this morning and realized that my chicks were getting way to big for their brooder and with this weather its going to be a bit until they can go outside... so I built them a bigger brooder! I used all scrap wood we had around from various projects and some hardware cloth we had around. so now my babies are in the basement in a 10 sq foot brooder
smile.png

I'm still making sure they are comfortable with where the light is and all that. I'm a little concerned tho because one chick sits directly under the light and pants... I'm not sure why he doesn't just go to a cooler spot..
They fit so nicely the first week, then boom!
Wow chickens grow fast!!!

You need to make a purple egger next!
I have a hen and a pullet that regularly lay a plum colored egg so when I incubated, I always noted on the chicks pedigree that it came from such egg - thinking I would have a line of them.

X2....a big goal of mine, purple & pink egger!

Then I found this Alltech egg chart that said lilac/pink eggs come from an additional coat of calcium over the pigment.
http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf

So perhaps that is a flaw - if they know what they're talking about. I don't think those companies research involves dark egg layers but only the commercial brown egg layers.
Ideal Penedesenca egg color is intense reddish maroon. Most egg pigments are in the cuticle but can also be applied in the mineralized portion of the egg. I theorized that there are various pigments on dark eggs (rather than a single pigment once presumed to make up brown egg color) and further theorized plum/lilac would come from a bird that was missing some of the brown and applied mostly the red pigments.

http://www.natureblink.com/publikace/eggshell_pig2.pdf

Had to share pictures of Jelly and Bean ...

Born 1/8/14 at 7:07am and 7:11am

Awww. So cute.
love.gif

well my little chick that hatched today did not make it after all. There was something wrong with the cord area and it bled out this afternoon. I'm blaming the humidity issues. It is really really hard to keep the humidity high in the incubator when it drops in the house to 20% or less.
Oh no. I am so sorry it didn't make it.
hugs.gif

well, this thread is coming to its stop......im going to keep posting so I can share and keep updates with you all.....WILL YOU PLEASE DO THE SAME WITH ME?!?!??!

I haven't had the time to take pictures of my chicks.....8 days old and they have their wings all feathered in! wow they grow so fast! I learned 2 of my 3 silkies are frizzles! my white and partridge! well, guess I cant show my white silkie after all! a crooked toe, and now a frizzle! hahaha. im so ecstatic to have frizzles! 17 chickens now.....just have to get this second coop finished! ill post pictures for all you guys once its done.....im actuailly building it off of another BYCer's coop page! im creating a coop page for my coop, saying its inspired bu them, and im going to list my measurements and tell what I did differently. IM SO EXCITED!

ok, now for talking all about ME, how are YOU ALL doing?

~Bantambury
I'll try to keep current on here and post updates. So glad you got some frizzles. They are gonna be so cute!!

so I woke up this morning and realized that my chicks were getting way to big for their brooder and with this weather its going to be a bit until they can go outside... so I built them a bigger brooder! I used all scrap wood we had around from various projects and some hardware cloth we had around. so now my babies are in the basement in a 10 sq foot brooder
smile.png

I'm still making sure they are comfortable with where the light is and all that. I'm a little concerned tho because one chick sits directly under the light and pants... I'm not sure why he doesn't just go to a cooler spot..
That looks like a really nice set up they've got there! I had one LO that would do the same thing. Sit directly in the hottest spot and pant. I'd pick it up and move it to a cooler spot and it would run straight back.
idunno.gif
It has stopped doing it now and runs around the brooder with the others. It complains more often than the rest but seems fine otherwise.

sad.png
Awwwww.
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry. But at least they returned them and didn't just leave the poor things stranded.

Here's my broody babies! 2 silkies and 1 jersey cross. Mom is still sitting one egg so I'm gonna leave that one be.
Cuties!

Well, an update:

I've got 5 VERY healthy and vibrant baby ducks in my temporary brooder box in the dining room. Was worried about #5 yesterday morning as he didn't seem to be doing well, but came home last night and he was just part of the gang, in fact couldn't tell which one he was.

I took the last Khaki out of the incubator last night, so this would be #6. I think it's 50/50 if he's going to make it or not, he looks worse than #5 did, but not by much.. and of course as soon as I set him in the brooder the others started to pick at him.. He's hiding behind the food bowl right now, resting and hopefully gaining strength so he can pick back.

So my final result is 12 set, 7 made it to lockdown and 6 hatched. 4 Khakis and 2 Pekins.. #7 was a Pekin as well.

All 5 that didn't make it to lockdown were in the LG incubator, the 6 that made it were all in a Brinsea Mini Adv.

Maybe get out the good camera tonight and get some vogue duck shots..

Last edited:
X2....a big goal of mine, purple & pink egger!

Just get a commercial black...LOL...plenty of times I've gone to collect the eggs (which, btw, should be all brown) there's been a pink egg. No lie. Then there are some that are a peachy-pink. Tried to hatch two for this hatchalong, and neither were fertile (both ended up being clears). Next hatch, though, I'm gonna try again...to see if it was just bad luck picking the two peach/pink eggs that weren't fertile, or if all those eggs I get are not fertile. I'll get my camera out and take pics of them, but you know how cameras and lighting go...sometimes you just can't capture the true color...but I'll try!

Took a pic of a pink egg

Well, an update:

I've got 5 VERY healthy and vibrant baby ducks in my temporary brooder box in the dining room. Was worried about #5 yesterday morning as he didn't seem to be doing well, but came home last night and he was just part of the gang, in fact couldn't tell which one he was.

I took the last Khaki out of the incubator last night, so this would be #6. I think it's 50/50 if he's going to make it or not, he looks worse than #5 did, but not by much.. and of course as soon as I set him in the brooder the others started to pick at him.. He's hiding behind the food bowl right now, resting and hopefully gaining strength so he can pick back.

So my final result is 12 set, 7 made it to the incubator and 6 hatched. 4 Khakis and 2 Pekins.. #7 was a Pekin as well.

All 5 that didn't make it were in the LG incubator, the 6 that made it were all in a Brinsea Mini Adv.

Good Job!

I am looking forward to the pictures.

Well, an update:

So my final result is 12 set, 7 made it to the incubator and 6 hatched. 4 Khakis and 2 Pekins.. #7 was a Pekin as well.

All 5 that didn't make it were in the LG incubator, the 6 that made it were all in a Brinsea Mini Adv.

Congrats! I hope #6 perks up and becomes just one of the gang as well. If you have any Poly-vi-sol without iron you could give him a drop of that. It really did wonders for my little duckling that had trouble hatching and was really weak. If you don't have any of that you could give him a bit of honey or molasses mixed in water. Or if nothing else a bit of brown sugar or raw sugar mixed in water.

Took a pic of a pink egg

Trick to getting "true" color. Take you picture then in your photo program adjust several of the options until you get the color looking like the egg you are holding in your hand. Some of these options are exposure, saturation, tint, shadows, highlights, sharpness (more in feather pictures than eggs). Keep playing with the combinations of the different effects until the picture on your screen matches what your eye sees. For cameras do not "see" the same way as eyes. It still will not display universally on everyone's screen the same way because of differences in calibration but it will be much closer.

Back
Top Bottom