5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

So this is normal appearance for Silkies?

The chick will molt a couple of times to get adult feathering so those are not permanent feathers.

Silkies do not get flight feathers so they do not fly. mixes with other breeds will give them some flight feathers. Yours looks normal so far.

I couldn't take it any more. I just set 22 eggs.
big_smile.png
hide.gif
Lockdown tomorrow.... Old bator starts another batch tonight.... Then, I have to quit setting chickens so I have room for the results of this behavior:

I don't think have a problem.
idunno.gif
Yet. Let me work on it!

hide.gif
Lockdown tomorrow.... Old bator starts another batch tonight.... Then, I have to quit setting chickens so I have room for the results of this behavior:

I don't think have a problem.
idunno.gif
Yet. Let me work on it!
fl.gif
I hope the hatch goes well!

You will figure out what to do with the new ones. Nice Turkeys!

fl.gif
I hope the hatch goes well!

You will figure out what to do with the new ones. Nice Turkeys!

Thanks!
Have plenty of room for them once they become chickens - it's that egg stage where things get crowded! The old bator probably holds about 100, but I've never set more than 60 at a time because hand-turning is so veeerrry tedious.

did anyone hatch seramas? I'm incubating some. any tips you may have would be great. thanks so much and thank you Ron for organizing the NYD Hatch A Long

Last edited:
hey guys this is my first time hatching and i have a question... do i put the eggs into lockdown on day 18 or 19? because from my understanding they need 3 days in lock down but i dont know if the the day i put them into lockdown counts as a day or not. please help!!

hey guys this is my first time hatching and i have a question... do i put the eggs into lockdown on day 18 or 19? because from my understanding they need 3 days in lock down but i dont know if the the day i put them into lockdown counts as a day or not. please help!!

I think it depends on a few things. When did you set the eggs on day 1? How fast are the eggs developing? And how you count the days.

As a rule of thumb, I try to start lockdown when I either am very close to having an internal pip or I already have an egg with an internal pip.

That said if you are just using the time factor, lockdown should start 432 hours after setting the eggs or just after the 18th day is finished.

I think it depends on a few things. When did you set the eggs on day 1? How fast are the eggs developing? And how you count the days.

As a rule of thumb, I try to start lockdown when I either am very close to having an internal pip or I already have an egg with an internal pip.

That said if you are just using the time factor, lockdown should start 432 hours after setting the eggs or just after the 18th day is finished.
i set the eggs at 9:30 am on the dot christmas day which would make today day 18. and thank you for the response. how can i tell if i have an internal pip?

did anyone hatch seramas? I'm incubating some. any tips you may have would be great. thanks so much and thank you Ron for organizing the NYD Hatch A Long

I've hatched Seramas, my own, and shipped. The difference for me wasn't much. I did run at a tad higher humidity, as those eggs are so tiny, the aircell's can grow more quickly. I lock down at the end of day 17 because they tend to hatch a day early.

Back
Top Bottom