5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Figure I'd share... Refurbished feed sack. Super easy, and only took a few hours (and a little bit of help from the wife.)
wink.png
if you're interested, just google 'chicken feed sack refurbish' and it should pull up some ideas and patterns for ya.

Nice. It's attractive and good second use of plastic.

Most of mine are paper but I recycle them too. I collect them late summer and fall. Fill them with leaves and line one wall or two of the brooder house for winter insulation.
Then at the end of winter before anything is growing, I put the leaves in the pens for the chickens to scratch through. The paper bags then go in the recycle bin.
My trash company recycles everything but Styrofoam or plastic film/bags. Each week, our 96 gallon recycle bin is usually full and the 96 gallon trash bin has one or two small bags in it.

I have two of those, one purple (like yours) and one orange (all flock?) that I love! I use them for everything! I spent alot of time in and out of doctor's offices last summer and I carried one of these with my Nook, SOP, wallet, socks, snacks, etc. just about every day. It even started a few pleasant conversations in waiting areas. Love, love, love mine!

So I have my dozen plus chicks sold to a gentleman that has some Buff Orpinton and some barred rocks. He has a buff O roo too so he is gonna save me some eggs,trade me a dozen.. I am gonna offer a couple more EE chicks in trade. So I should get some good buffsO plus some sexlinked Barreds Rocks /BuffO will be interesting. I will use these also for the meatie pen.. I love trading ,swapping eggs..

Last edited:
The only reason I de-chlorinated the water for groups 2 & 3 is because after conferring with the chemists at the probiotic place, they thought the chloramine in city water could kill all the bacteria in the water/feed. They also suggested that humans drinking chloramine treated water should replenish their probiotics regularly.

Yes and if you give the one group chlorinated water you will kill their natural probiotics and not be replenishing them with anything. If you give them unchlorinated water then they will have their natural probiotic content undisturbed.

Figure I'd share... Refurbished feed sack. Super easy, and only took a few hours (and a little bit of help from the wife.)
wink.png
if you're interested, just google 'chicken feed sack refurbish' and it should pull up some ideas and patterns for ya.
We are going to be building an earthbag house for our chickens from the feed sacks. We currently have 10,000 feed bags. Going to also be working on building an earthbag house for ourselves.
big_smile.png

Eathbag Construction before stucco

Earthbag Home with Stucco

Interior of homes

Here are the chicks that I hatched on NYD.

Back
Top Bottom