5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Does anyone heat their animals with rocket mass heaters in winter?

I like to entertain the crazy thought of becoming a hermit one day. Living in a cob house, half of which houses animals, using rocket mass stove for heat.

We won't be starting on the house and coop until our land purchase has been finalized. We had put a down payment on land in April and had cleared about 3 acres of the 8 acres and was starting on it and the land owner decided that after we had cleared it and spent $3000 on improving it plus the $2500 downpayment that he wanted triple the price we agreed on and we kinda learned our lesson not to start anything until everything is finalized. Here is a pic of what we had started then he screwed us over. We went to every lawyer in this county and surrounding counties and he had previously been represented by all of them that we gave up. We come to find out that he does that kind of thing to a lot of people. We had filled 1,000 bags....
Wow. What a complete jerk. I can't believe there were no lawyers who would help you. Especially since the deal for the land had already been started. That's just so wrong.
hugs.gif

Does anyone heat their animals with rocket mass heaters in winter?

I like to entertain the crazy thought of becoming a hermit one day. Living in a cob house, half of which houses animals, using rocket mass stove for heat.
I don't. But have looked into cob and rocket mass heaters. Have been entertaining the idea of cob coops and a small cob house. Much of the soil here is red clay so would have all the clay I could want for it.

Hey guys! I got a fun question for all of you!
What have you all named your chicks? I sill need to think of names so could you all help me?

All these chicks are growing up so fast! I love to hear about all the fun things our chicks are doing!
what do you all plan on hatching for Easter? I may do polish and silkies......

No names here yet, because we're not sure which ones we're keeping. I did sell 7 today, which was sad. But they are going to kids starting a project for 4H, so they are going for a good cause...plus I can't keep all these chicks!!!

Mine are growing and feathering so fast. A few nights ago I moved all but the Silkies to our brooder in the unheated workshop with a heat lamp. They are loving all the space! Running, jumping, flapping their wings, and bowling each other over. Tonight one was dust bathing in the bedding, which was sooo cute! Hopefully I will be able to have them spend some time outside in the next few days.

Wow. What a complete jerk. I can't believe there were no lawyers who would help you. Especially since the deal for the land had already been started. That's just so wrong.
hugs.gif

I don't. But have looked into cob and rocket mass heaters. Have been entertaining the idea of cob coops and a small cob house. Much of the soil here is red clay so would have all the clay I could want for it.
We had a neighbor that was a lawyer and he wanted to help but couldn't represent us because the other guy had already been represented by their office. He said that if we found one to come back to him and he would tell our new lawyer what to go buy and how to win. We had a written agreement for the land signed by both parties. Lots of lawyers wanted to help but couldn't because he had already been represented by him. The guy owns 1,000's and 1,000's of acres of land and evidently it's his thing to rip people off.

Last edited:
We are going to be building an earthbag house for our chickens from the feed sacks. We currently have 10,000 feed bags. Going to also be working on building an earthbag house for ourselves.
big_smile.png

Eathbag Construction before stucco

Earthbag Home with Stucco

Interior of homes

When you're done with yours, can you come build me one? LOL LOVE IT!!!

They are filled with a clay soil mixture. The soil here where I live has just the right mix so we just got a dozer to come down and pile up some loose dirt for us to fill the bags. Once finished it will last for hundreds of years. In the summer the house will stay cool and the winter it will stay warm. They have a 12hr heat differential. The hottest part of the day it will be cool. The coldest part of the day it will be warm. They are earthquake proof, fire proof, tornado proof, bullet proof, and the list goes on. Research it. It's really awesome, and the best part it's very cheap to build.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/earthbag-home1.htm

Oh my, a Prepper's dream !!!!!

We had a neighbor that was a lawyer and he wanted to help but couldn't represent us because the other guy had already been represented by their office. He said that if we found one to come back to him and he would tell our new lawyer what to go buy and how to win. We had a written agreement for the land signed by both parties. Lots of lawyers wanted to help but couldn't because he had already been represented by him. The guy owns 1,000's and 1,000's of acres of land and evidently it's his thing to rip people off.
I hope you find someone. There has got to be a lawyer somewhere who can represent you. In the meantime, I'd call your local paper and tv news...I know one of our local news stations here have a segment in every news cast about scams, and it's a great way to get it out there who the scammers are! Good luck!

Looking forward to The Easter Hatch-A-long! I just reserved my eggs....Super Blue Egg Layers & (hopefully if she gets another breeding pen set up) Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks from DMRippy...I love silver penciled anything! It won't be long now....Easter will be here before you know it. If you have a specific breed in mind for the Hatch-A-Long, I'd start thinking about reserving them soon. Others do, and the closer it gets to the set date the harder it is to get those eggs for that particular week. I learned the hard way last year. A lot of breeders kept telling me they were sold out but could ship the week before or after set week.

[COLOR=800080]Looking forward to The Easter Hatch-A-long! I just reserved my eggs....Super Blue Egg Layers & (hopefully if she gets another breeding pen set up) Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks from DMRippy...I love silver penciled anything! It won't be long now....Easter will be here before you know it. If you have a specific breed in mind for the Hatch-A-Long, I'd start thinking about reserving them soon. Others do, and the closer it gets to the set date the harder it is to get those eggs for that particular week. I learned the hard way last year. A lot of breeders kept telling me they were sold out but could ship the week before or after set week.[/COLOR]

When does this hatch a long start? I'm thinking this time im going to just get fertile barnyard mix eggs from my neighbor. I know they have mostly RSL from tsc but im not sure what breed the roo is, would the chicks from the RSL be sexable at hatch or is that only in the first generation?

When does this hatch a long start? I'm thinking this time im going to just get fertile barnyard mix eggs from my neighbor. I know they have mostly RSL from tsc but im not sure what breed the roo is, would the chicks from the RSL be sexable at hatch or is that only in the first generation?

X2

No, Sex links are not sexable after the first generation. They will break back to the parent stock. Auto sexing breeds are sexable generation after generation.

All of those are imports. We did not develop auto sexing breeds in the United States.

Cream Legbars
Rhode Bars
Are two that are here.

More are listed here but most are not available in the US. http://www.autosexing.co.uk/

Back
Top Bottom