5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Oh my, look at all that boyish charm! So let me ask, besides the fairly obvious combs, I notice that there are two who look darker/browner/less barred than the others, and I'm not sure whether it's the picture or a delayed autosexing feature coming through, if in fact those two are the ones you think are pullets. I know this was a combination of Crele Penes and Cream Legbars (at least I think that is what I remember them being) and I'm wondering whether the CL brought along the autosexing characteristic. Did the ones with more barring have white head spots and the two darker ones not, by any chance?
There is a lot of Barring in those chicks!

Niclandia says the cross will not have auto sexing or be sex linked. I am looking at the color of the Barring, color of feathers on the breast(SG Dorkings have black feathers for cockerels and salmon colored for pullets) and the combs and wattles. Combs and wattles will be the biggest indicator for these because of the Pene and CL tendency to huge combs for the Boys.

Ron, those chicks are adorable! If I was closer I'd be happy to take one of those fellas off you're hands. Lol.
They will be great Roosters! They are already very alert and active. They would warn of predators too. The Creles are very good with the girls too.

If anyone would know it would be Nicalandia :) Sorry such a high percentage of males, but it should be fun to watch them grow out all the same. What is the end result you are hoping for with this cross back to the Crele Penes?
I need to see the next step. I bet Nicalandia will help too!

There is a testing service that will test to see if the Rooster has the blue gene. It is supposed to cost 15 bucks too!

I may breed the them together now for an F2 or the next step may be to breed them back to CL. It would be nice to get them back to Autosexing Olive layers.

I need to see the next step. I bet Nicalandia will help too!

There is a testing service that will test to see if the Rooster has the blue gene. It is supposed to cost 15 bucks too!

I may breed the them together now for an F2 or the next step may be to breed them back to CL. It would be nice to get them back to Autosexing Olive layers.

Id love to hear more about this test for the blue gene. Do you have any more info on that?

Ended up having to cull a 4 week old BCM pullet this morning before work, the one I worked so hard tube feeding and medicating. She lost 20% of her body wt yesterday and was down to 85 grams, and knew I couldn't feed and hydrate her b/c I had to work again. I knew it would get worse today, and she was acting listless and uncomfortable, which she hadn't done before. There is absolutely nothing that could have prepared me for it.
hit.gif

It was a difficult day trying to keep it together at work.
hit.gif
I had a meltdown when I came home, but dh made me go to into the brooder, and after a few hours with 18 lively babies scampering around, I'm feeling better. He did agree that culling sooner is better than later...I wanted to cull Sunday but he wanted me to 'fix' her.

RIP, sweet Cricket.
love.gif

Ended up having to cull a 4 week old BCM pullet this morning before work, the one I worked so hard tube feeding and medicating. She lost 20% of her body wt yesterday and was down to 85 grams, and knew I couldn't feed and hydrate her b/c I had to work again. I knew it would get worse today, and she was acting listless and uncomfortable, which she hadn't done before. There is absolutely nothing that could have prepared me for it.
hit.gif

It was a difficult day trying to keep it together at work.
hit.gif
I had a meltdown when I came home, but dh made me go to into the brooder, and after a few hours with 18 lively babies scampering around, I'm feeling better. He did agree that culling sooner is better than later...I wanted to cull Sunday but he wanted me to 'fix' her.

RIP, sweet Cricket.
love.gif
hugs.gif
I am sorry you had to go through this!

I do not go to great lengths any more. I make them comfortable but will not force feed them. They either make it or not in a normal way.

Vitamins and hospice care. If they are suffering then I cull them. You have a wise DH to send you in with the healthy ones!

:hugs I am sorry you had to go through this!

I do not go to great lengths any more. I make them comfortable but will not force feed them. They either make it or not in a normal way.

Vitamins and hospice care. If they are suffering then I cull them. You have a wise DH to send you in with the healthy ones!

I think it was a needed experience...he did realize how hard it was for me since I got so attached to her. She stayed in a box with fluffy towels, but any time I was home she was wrapped in a washcloth tucked in my shirt...she loved that and would nuzzle up to me and purr. :) Lots of good memories. I think I am going to make a dream catcher using her beautiful wing feathers. We try to dosomething for each pet we have lost whether it is a scrapbook page of a fish or a footprint of a cat on a magnet, etc. :)

The only benefit of the new coops not having runs yet. Water is in the coop so body heat from the birds is keeping them from freezing.

I must not have enough birds for the waterer inside the coop not to freeze. I'm taking it out every morning, thawing it in the sink with hot water, filling it back up, and taking it back out. Have had one waterer crack on the bottom already, so I'm using my spare until I get to the feed store!

I shared on another thread, but wanted to share here too (and to brag
big_smile.png
)...

Kalli, our chocolate lab, whelped her first litter on Thursday! I'm the proud "grandmama" of 7 adorable puppies!!!
love.gif

All are healthy and nursing like champs! She had 2 chocolate males, 3 chocolate females, 1 yellow female, and 1 blonde female! They are absolutely PRECIOUS!!! (Yep, I'm a first time puppy grandma myself!)

Here's pics...

Back
Top Bottom