5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Same!
gig.gif

LOVELY brooder! to DIE for!

I got a ticket to NC shipping in the mail now....should be there by tomorrow so you can fly over and build one for us here
lol.png
LOL
LOL...nope...not until dh and dn (dear neighbor) finish my bathroom. We are giving them our huge jetted tub and in exchange he is helping us with the bathroom. We are using the space for two benches with storage, plus a vanity (all reusing the granite that surrounded the tub).

Then I *need* some nesting boxes, duplex breeding pens for my Rhodebars, and then maybe we can make it out to NC. Oh, no...forgot...then it will be time for the Easter hatch-a-long. Then the quail. Oh well, you are on the waiting list for 2016.
gig.gif

So my chicks are in the shed with 2 heat lamps. Tonight it's going to be mild but then it's back into the teens and then single digits :( am I going to have to bring my guys back inside? Im pretty sure I can keep it around 60 under the lights and they have enough room to all get under the heat... my older chickens are doing amazingly in this weather without anything...

LOL...nope...not until dh and dn (dear neighbor) finish my bathroom. We are giving them our huge jetted tub and in exchange he is helping us with the bathroom. We are using the space for two benches with storage, plus a vanity (all reusing the granite that surrounded the tub).

Then I *need* some nesting boxes, duplex breeding pens for my Rhodebars, and then maybe we can make it out to NC. Oh, no...forgot...then it will be time for the Easter hatch-a-long. Then the quail. Oh well, you are on the waiting list for 2016.
gig.gif
gig.gif

well, SURELY ill be that first person on the waiting list.....RIGHT?!?!?!? LOL ROFL!!!
lau.gif

help with wrong end pipper... this is my second wrong end pipper... the 1st I did not intervene and it did not make it. this one there was a tear in membrane so I enlarged it 14 hrs ago so she could breathe... it is now 14 hrs later and she has not made progress.. do I leave her alone or help. I've been reading Sally sunshines post for assisting but bit sure if I should chip egg she'll away. chuck us same ... the little hole I made us allowing her to breathe but I'm afraid she may dry out in egg... what's should be my next step? thank you!!!!

With my wrong end pipper I brought him out every hour or so and moistened the membrane then put him back in a wet paper towel and I chipped the shell away a little at a time and he pushed out whrn he was ready. It took.a while tho. Do you have other eggs in there? I would leave it as long as it can breath... it can take 24 hrs from.pip to.hatch

I process them but also sell them on Craigs list or at a Small Animal Exchange. I did sell some at an Auction last year too.

Yes I do process the extra roosters. Some roosters that are my favorites that are too nice looking or just too sweet I rehome on craigslist. Also I rehome my bantam roosters I don't process those.

My neighbor processes their roosters and ive never done it before but I think I have 5 roosters and I willhave 7 hens so some need to go so ill just bring them over to my neighbors and maybe if I have a strong stomach that day ill stay to learn how to do it lol

Ok thanks!

I process my extra roos when they reach 17 weeks of age. At that point, their aggressive side is just beginning to show (if there is any aggression). I can't keep all the roos...and having just started raising chickens last spring, haven't been to swaps to try to get rid of them (the non-aggressive ones). So I learned how to process, and how to cook rooster :)

gig.gif

well, SURELY ill be that first person on the waiting list.....RIGHT?!?!?!? LOL ROFL!!!
lau.gif

You are #1, Ashley. As long as you shoot my family portraits.
big_smile.png

And I am stealing your idea...next coop will have a photo frame door. That is THE cutest photo op!

Are you hatching for the Easter hatch a long? Do you have any standard size chickens?

You are #1, Ashley. As long as you shoot my family portraits. :D

And I am stealing your idea...next coop will have a photo frame door. That is THE cutest photo op!

Are you hatching for the Easter hatch a long? Do you have any standard size chickens?
Lol

Take my idea! Anyone can use it! I just thought trim should be on everything! Lol

I WANT to do the easter hatch but dont know if ill be in town. I have bantam sized chickens....some half standard....like easter egger mixes

help with wrong end pipper... this is my second wrong end pipper... the 1st I did not intervene and it did not make it. this one there was a tear in membrane so I enlarged it 14 hrs ago so she could breathe... it is now 14 hrs later and she has not made progress.. do I leave her alone or help. I've been reading Sally sunshines post for assisting but bit sure if I should chip egg she'll away. chuck us same ... the little hole I made us allowing her to breathe but I'm afraid she may dry out in egg... what's should be my next step? thank you!!!!

The egg above, pipped at the wrong end.

I wet the white membrane, look closely, you can see the little hole
it pipped. Note, it is in the middle of the egg now. If I hadn't
opened it, helped, it would have suffocated. It tried to turn, but
ended up in the middle of the egg. You will find chipping the egg
shell back a little at a time is pretty easy. Just to the first white
membrane.

Above, down to the next membrane..there are three. A lot of
blood, so will leave it until it absorbs more, probably will take a
day. I clear all of the membrane away from the beak/nostrils.

Finally, got to take the head out. Yolk is absorbed, but, not
the blood all the way yet.

I pull up the legs into the front..slowly, gently, so as to have them
line up, no splayed leg. :) Do this carefully, don't pull their bottom
up from the shell, that's where there is still a lot of blood to absorb.

Hanging out with one of the three I had pip at the wrong end.

Baby all fluffed out. :)

Back
Top Bottom