5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

The egg above, pipped at the wrong end. I wet the white membrane, look closely, you can see the little hole it pipped. Note, it is in the middle of the egg now. If I hadn't opened it, helped, it would have suffocated. It tried to turn, but ended up in the middle of the egg. You will find chipping the egg shell back a little at a time is pretty easy. Just to the first white membrane. Above, down to the next membrane..there are three. A lot of blood, so will leave it until it absorbs more, probably will take a day. I clear all of the membrane away from the beak/nostrils. Finally, got to take the head out. Yolk is absorbed, but, not the blood all the way yet. I pull up the legs into the front..slowly, gently, so as to have them line up, no splayed leg. :) Do this carefully, don't pull their bottom up from the shell, that's where there is still a lot of blood to absorb. Hanging out with one of the three I had pip at the wrong end. Baby all fluffed out. :)
thanks for posting your wrong end pipper... mine hatch out this afternoon. I was at work but snow day gave my DH and DD a day off ... DH helped chickie hatch and all is good.....another wrong end pipper waiting to come out ... thanks again for sharing the awesome pictures

thanks for posting your wrong end pipper... mine hatch out this afternoon. I was at work but snow day gave my DH and DD a day off ... DH helped chickie hatch and all is good.....another wrong end pipper waiting to come out ... thanks again for sharing the awesome pictures

Good news on the hatch. Where they Delawares? Something is not right about having that many wrong end hatchers.

Maybe we can help figure out what can be changed.

@Cynthia12, here's my wrong end pipper not sure what breed but it's bantam maybe Cochin BC of feathered feet.. got eggs in mail

@Cynthia12, here's my wrong end pipper not sure what breed but it's bantam maybe Cochin BC of feathered feet.. got eggs in mail

Eggs from whom? Sure is a cute little bugger! Im sure you could contact the person who you got the eggs from and ask them what birds he has that that maybe that's what I did with my breeder when I got the jap but thought it was a serama

aww, it's so tiny and cute. I love the bantam cochins. It almost looks like it could be one. I have some of those in the bator now. :)

Good news on the hatch. Where they Delawares? Something is not right about having that many wrong end hatchers.

Maybe we can help figure out what can be changed.
Quote:
That is the likely explanation. Shipped silkie eggs are said to have problems hatching. Hopefully you can hatch your own now.

Back
Top Bottom