5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

I don't know what the full dose is on the Tylan. I couldn't find it anywhere so worked it out to be about 2 tsp per 5 gallon bucket. So I am doing just a bit over 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon of water + 2 tsp Corid.

Might be a light at the end of the tunnel... the Isbar that had the gunk in her mouth that I cleared but who again wouldn't eat yeaterday and got messed with (colloidal silver, VetRX, EOs, vitamin E, B12 - fed her mollasses and peanut butter - I tried anything I could think of) TODAY I put fresh food in the outside brooder and she RAN up and started gobbling it. After she went to stand in the heat lamp with her eyes closed again - but I figure if she is eating that is a step in the right direction. AND no new dead today so far (knock on wood).

I don't know what the full dose is on the Tylan. I couldn't find it anywhere so worked it out to be about 2 tsp per 5 gallon bucket. So I am doing just a bit over 1/2 tsp per 1 gallon of water + 2 tsp Corid.

Might be a light at the end of the tunnel... the Isbar that had the gunk in her mouth that I cleared but who again wouldn't eat yeaterday and got messed with (colloidal silver, VetRX, EOs, vitamin E, B12 - fed her mollasses and peanut butter - I tried anything I could think of) TODAY I put fresh food in the outside brooder and she RAN up and started gobbling it. After she went to stand in the heat lamp with her eyes closed again - but I figure if she is eating that is a step in the right direction. AND no new dead today so far (knock on wood).
oh great!!
D.gif

I'm anxiously checking for update...wishing all the best!
hugs.gif

I found that Dawg53 recommends 1 tsp per gallon and so does the manufacturer
Tylan powder is good for 3 days
however the Corid needs to be replaced daily.
So if you mix the 2 would would need to replace it every day.
JMO and I'm not an expert by any means

Last edited:
I found that Dawg53 recommends 1 tsp per gallon and so does the manufacturer
Tylan powder is good for 3 days
however the Corid needs to be replaced daily.
So if you mix the 2 would would need to replace it every day.
JMO and I'm not an expert by any means
Thanks so much! I am mixing 1 Gallon at a time for each of the 5 waterers and each morning I put a fresh gallon in each one.

Officially made it through the day with no deaths :D Taking it one day at a time here.

So chicks all still alive. But I just found a 2 1/2 month old White cochin cockerel hanging his head with one eye closed. On closer examination I felt that the side of his face was very hot and swollen inside. They are still on Tylan and Corid today. It could be that he got stung but I am guessing more likely its related to the wet pox. He has no visible signs of dry pox. I rubbed him down in VetRX in case it helps, gave him some colloidal silver, vit E an b12, and even a drop of benadryl. He looks miserable and his crop is empty. I have put him in the sick brooder in the hallway. I am just so scared that all the chicks in the house are going to get all this crud. Maybe I should try to carry the sick brooder outside?

You are just not getting a break are you. If I have sick birds I try to segregate them as much as possible. So I would definitely try to get the sick brooder as far away as possible from ones that aren't sick with what he has.

I just got back from being out part of the day and he looks about the same, maybe opening his eye a tiny bit more. Took the brooder out to the main coop where all the sickies are and away from the newborns here in the house. Hopefully they are still OK. The last of the hatchlings should be born by Nov 2nd. I hope they can all make it that long so I can vax them all then. Dealing with the germs in the outside coop... that is a whole different ball of wax. I can't even begin to think about that yet.

I just got back from being out part of the day and he looks about the same, maybe opening his eye a tiny bit more. Took the brooder out to the main coop where all the sickies are and away from the newborns here in the house. Hopefully they are still OK. The last of the hatchlings should be born by Nov 2nd. I hope they can all make it that long so I can vax them all then. Dealing with the germs in the outside coop... that is a whole different ball of wax. I can't even begin to think about that yet.
UGH!! so hard...can't imagine how your doing it my kids are grown and gone...how your taking care of your family and all this??
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

UGH!! so hard...can't imagine how your doing it my kids are grown and gone...how your taking care of your family and all this??:hugs :hugs
Just trying to do my best for them all :/ The cochin with the swollen shut eye looks about 50% better today, so (knock on wood) I think we are through the woods with him. I hope. :fl No new dead chicks, and no one else looks any worse and some are even starting to clear up. I am sooooo ready to be through all this.

Back
Top Bottom