5wk RIR outside?

dirtybug

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Chester Co. PA
May be getting some 5wk old RIR's I've never had chicks before, only older birds. My guess is that at 5 weeks in cold weather they still need a source of heat and being that my coop is uninsulated and has no electric I'd have to wait.
??
also at 5wks could a RIR walk through 2x4" fence?

I would give them a heatlamp or something, at least at night. They should be fine during the day if it's not too cold and they are kept in a dry and draftfree area. Once they are maybe 6-7 weeks old and fully feathered they should be OK. I'm not sure if they could still squeeze thru the fence but I thin at about 6 or 7 weeks mine seemed too big for that.....

I have RIR and I put mine out at 4 weeks with a light then at 5 weeks turned it off. It has been in the high 40s this week in the mornings. They are fine. I have chain link fence on one side and at 4 weeks they could come and go but only went when I tried to get them. At 5 week I dont remember seeing them go threw it.

My chicks went outside at 5 weeks old. It was 100 during the day and 80 at night though. They never went threw my wire fence (2"x4"). One did squeeze threw between the gate and fence, which was about 2-3 inches wide. I just stuck an extra piece of fence right there for two weeks until they got a little bigger. I would probaby try to put some light out there for them at night if they are not all feathered out yet. Put them out there and watch to see how they act.
wink.png

Mine were outside at 2 weeks and fully feathered out by about 6 weeks. I only put the lamp on at night, and only until about 5 or 6 or so weeks of age so just do what works for your babies.

But they DID squeeze out of 2x4" welded wire fence until, dang they were 8-10 weeks old. I had to put up chicken wire zip-tied to the main fence to keep the little boogers in!

Back
Top Bottom