5x8 coops say 20-25 chic, is this wrong ?

I wasn't going for cuteness as much as I was going for what's best for them. The reason I wanted to be portable is tha lack of sun they'll be getting during winter and shade during the summer. Who says there can't be nice and sufficent coops out there ? I have seen so many nice coops out here.

I have a 16 x 20 run and feel it is too small for my 18 hens and 1 Roo. I am not getting any more unless I can extend my run.

My is 3 x 6.5 and hold 12 chickens. There are a lot of room left. They only roost at night and laying egg. You do need a large run for that many chickens. Since you have duck, they are messy and do need more room.

building a bigger run isn't an issue. We have a HUGE backyard and run was never a problem. Thank you everyone for responding and giving me information. I'm looking for 10x10 shed that can be converted to chicken coop or a already made chicken coop that size.

Quote:
10x10 ? no I said I was thinking 50x20 or 60x10. Their current run is 17x10 and their 2nd run is 30x40 ft.

I'm talking about the COOP not the run, good heavens!!

You have been insistant about building only a 5x8 (or at most 6x8) coop.

I am saying that to give your twenty-five birds even just 4 square feet apiece, you would need a 10x10 coop. That's the indoor structure being 10x10. PLUS a big run ALSO.

You cannot get that size coop portable without a vehicle to pull it, unless it is a flimsy Southern-climate-or-meat-bird type hoophouse.

And even that size is still not really very big for chickens in an area where they will not always be happy about going outside -- NJ is not exactly the polar icecap but it is not England either.

You need to decide which is more important -- cute/portable, or ample space for the chickens.

No, you cannot have both. That's just physics.

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Discussions like this and attitudes like this are why I love being on BYC.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom