6,000 volts of deterent

It is a twenty mile charger but we only have two acres and only one of that is pasture but we only use the charger on the chicken runs now. The coon came back last night at 12:15 and my wife was lucky enough to hear it find the fence. We almost always go to bed on a work night at 11 but for some reason we stayed up. She was taking out the garbage (yes, she has me spoiled) and she heard a horrible shriek come from our chicken runs. It was the raccoon and it was long gone by the time we got up there. I found some sounds on the internet of raccoons fighting and she made a positive i.d. so i hope we are good to go. I think that guy probably didnt stop running till he hit Kentucky.

Quote:
Priceless! I let my neighbor run a wire from my fence to his garden. He was having groundhog problems. You should have heard that thing squeal!

The raccoon came back again last night to try again. We heard it scream last night about ten. It must have gotten hung in the four inch space between the property barbwire fence and the electric wire at the bottom of the chicken run because it screamed for over ten seconds and when we got up there it was gone but you could smell burnt hair really strong. I Didnt even know that the fence controller was strong enough to singe hair.

Quote:
We had a lot (and I mean a lot) of electric wire when I was growing up around my parent's small family farm. We use to be the wire checkers. Dad use to offer us fruit to touch the wire to see if something was shorting it out (dirt poor at the time and fruit was a luxury before we started growing our own). It hurt only with a quick touch so constant contact could be a hair removal method. It can/could be dangerous. We had a male half grown cat killed when it decided to play with the lower wire around the chicken house on a wet day. One of our calves was blinded in one eye when it was standing too close to a wire that was struck by lightning around the pasture it was in. My dad was almost electrocuted when it was really raining and he went to open the electric wire running across the driveway. He grabbed hold of the insulated handle and because of the heavy rain the electricity ran across the handle and he was unable to let go of the handle. You could see his muscles jumping from the current. My eldest sister jumped out of the car (the whole family was in the car waiting for the gate to be opened so that we could go to town) ran up the hill to the house and pulled the plug. From then on everytime we had to open the gate we would use the one finger test ......... even on bone dry days.
roll.png
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
If you have a "burn down" fencer, they're designed to fry off any weeds that come in contact with the fence... basically, the racoon is lucky he was able to extract himself if it was an AC fencer.

Back
Top Bottom