6 1/2 month old chickens not laying daily

ellenms

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
We have 3 6 and 1/2 month old chickens that we got as baby chicks. We got them from a feed store and were told that they were sexed and that their eggs would be colored. That part is fine, but only one is laying daily and the other 2 from 3-5 times a week. Will they start to lay daily as they get a little older?

Depends on the breed. Even the most prolific layers don't always lay every single day. Also, your birds are young. While they are old enough to lay, they're probably not old enough to have their regular adult cycle yet.

Remember, a pullet is not a hen until she is a year old. =)

Depends on the breed. Even the most prolific layers don't always lay every single day. Also, your birds are young. While they are old enough to lay, they're probably not old enough to have their regular adult cycle yet.

Remember, a pullet is not a hen until she is a year old. =)
I know hens lay the best in their first year.... is that the first year from when they start laying or do late bloomers lose out on prime egg time?

Most of my 8 month old chickens still haven't ever layed :p, It really depends on the breed if they will ever start laying daily or not. Am I correct to assume they are Easter Eggers?

We have 3 6 and 1/2 month old chickens that we got as baby chicks. We got them from a feed store and were told that they were sexed and that their eggs would be colored. That part is fine, but only one is laying daily and the other 2 from 3-5 times a week. Will they start to lay daily as they get a little older?
Maybe, maybe not.
What breeds are they?

We are heading toward winter, some breeds don't lay much/at all in the winter. It's about how much light. Maybe they will wait unless you want to supplement light for them.

Back
Top Bottom