6/20/11 UPDATE on Chicks In The Hummingbird Nest (PIX) Update post #1

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rebbetzin, May 23, 2011.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    The other day we found a nest in the ivy, right by the entrance to the carport. The mother is not happy when anyone goes by! She is seldom on the nest, I don't know if the eggs will hatch with her being gone so much of the time. But, here are some photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have yet to have any babies live to leave the nest. But, a few weeks ago my nextdoor neighbor had two babies leave the nest!! So, I am hopeful these will be able to hatch and go on to live happy lives in the neighborhood.

Today, I was curious if the hummingbird eggs had hatched or if they were even still in the nest. (Last year some preditor got the new babies)

anyhow, I am too short to see into the nest, so used my camera to help me see. And this is what we have!!

[​IMG]

They look like they are even getting feathers, which is farther along than last years chicks.

On Friday (6/10/11) I took this photo of the babies in the nest.

[​IMG]

You can see they are a bit bigger.

Then this morning I could see little beaks up over the top of the nest!!
    Here they are this morning (6/13/11) How quickly they are growing!

[​IMG]

Look how much they grew in a week!! They are starting to out grow the nest!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hope these make it! One of my favorite memories of one of my "Grandaddys" was when he showed me a hummingbird's nest. He was a lover of nature, a conservationist long before it became popular. I was about 10 and amazed at how tiny and perfect it was.

Please post the updates!

3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    We have barn swallows every year on our porch. I didn't think they would nest there this year. But about 2 weeks after we began seeing them again we could see that repairs were being made to the nest. Last years swallow raised 2 clutches of eggs each with 5 babies and only lost 1 baby.

4. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Those are awesome pics !!! I have several hummingbird feeders but have never seen a nest here. OH I do hope they hatch and fly away.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh what cute eggs!

Thank you for posting the pics!

6. hilareee

hilareee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    santa cruz, ca
    great pics! i've never found hummingbird nests, but i know there must be some nearby. last year i had some bushtits create quite an elaborate nest, but it was so close to my door that the nest was abandoned, with 3 eggs [​IMG]

i've been enjoying this spring, hearing the birds that make it. just this afternoon i saw a chickadee baby being fed bugs by a parent. i can hear a fledgling mockingbird during the day. some bushtits just fledged this weekend and made quite a sweet racket the whole day.

spring is springing!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Close to 70 years spent in the outdoors, and I have never seen a hummingbird nest. [​IMG]

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Send it to me! Send it to me!

I want Hummingbirds!! [​IMG]

I wonder if anyone has ever sucessfully incubated Hummingbird eggs and reared the chicks? Hmmmm... [​IMG]

Awww Sourland [​IMG]

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:lol i think that's illegal [​IMG]

pretty eggs, hope both of them hatch! we have wrens nesting in the barn this year and they have seven, yes seven, rosy pink eggs in thier nest!!! [​IMG]

10. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:Om YouTube, a while back, there was a fellow that raised a baby hummer in the house. I read a book a couple of years ago written by a Hummingbird Rescue lady, she had a screened in porch that she used to nurse Hummers back to health. I don't know if anyone has successfully raised them from an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by