6/20/11 UPDATE on Chicks In The Hummingbird Nest (PIX) Update post #1

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
The other day we found a nest in the ivy, right by the entrance to the carport. The mother is not happy when anyone goes by! She is seldom on the nest, I don't know if the eggs will hatch with her being gone so much of the time. But, here are some photos.

52311NestinIvyemail.jpg

52311Nesttwoeggsemail.jpg

I have yet to have any babies live to leave the nest. But, a few weeks ago my nextdoor neighbor had two babies leave the nest!! So, I am hopeful these will be able to hatch and go on to live happy lives in the neighborhood.

Today, I was curious if the hummingbird eggs had hatched or if they were even still in the nest. (Last year some preditor got the new babies)

anyhow, I am too short to see into the nest, so used my camera to help me see. And this is what we have!!

682011Hummingbirdnestwithchicksemail.jpg

They look like they are even getting feathers, which is farther along than last years chicks.

On Friday (6/10/11) I took this photo of the babies in the nest.

6102011Hummingbirdnest002email.jpg

You can see they are a bit bigger.

Then this morning I could see little beaks up over the top of the nest!!
Here they are this morning (6/13/11) How quickly they are growing!

6132011HummingbirdNest01email.jpg

Look how much they grew in a week!! They are starting to out grow the nest!

6202011ChicksinNestemail.jpg

Last edited:
Hope these make it! One of my favorite memories of one of my "Grandaddys" was when he showed me a hummingbird's nest. He was a lover of nature, a conservationist long before it became popular. I was about 10 and amazed at how tiny and perfect it was.

Please post the updates!

We have barn swallows every year on our porch. I didn't think they would nest there this year. But about 2 weeks after we began seeing them again we could see that repairs were being made to the nest. Last years swallow raised 2 clutches of eggs each with 5 babies and only lost 1 baby.

Those are awesome pics !!! I have several hummingbird feeders but have never seen a nest here. OH I do hope they hatch and fly away.

great pics! i've never found hummingbird nests, but i know there must be some nearby. last year i had some bushtits create quite an elaborate nest, but it was so close to my door that the nest was abandoned, with 3 eggs
sad.png

i've been enjoying this spring, hearing the birds that make it. just this afternoon i saw a chickadee baby being fed bugs by a parent. i can hear a fledgling mockingbird during the day. some bushtits just fledged this weekend and made quite a sweet racket the whole day.

spring is springing!

Send it to me! Send it to me!

I want Hummingbirds!!
love.gif

I wonder if anyone has ever sucessfully incubated Hummingbird eggs and reared the chicks? Hmmmm...
droolin.gif

Awww Sourland
hugs.gif

Quote:
lol i think that's illegal
wink.png

pretty eggs, hope both of them hatch! we have wrens nesting in the barn this year and they have seven, yes seven, rosy pink eggs in thier nest!!!
love.gif

Quote:
Om YouTube, a while back, there was a fellow that raised a baby hummer in the house. I read a book a couple of years ago written by a Hummingbird Rescue lady, she had a screened in porch that she used to nurse Hummers back to health. I don't know if anyone has successfully raised them from an egg.

Back
Top Bottom