1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

6+ Brd Paint Silkie Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by robin416, Nov 9, 2011.

1. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I'm over run, big time. No more space so no more hatching here for a couple of months. Instead of wasting the eggs I've decided to list them. The cockeral in the picture is one hatched here from my paints. They have all had five toes, black skin (black to paint has pigment holes at hatch) which these are.

Chicks from paints are robust and active shortly after hatch. Much more so than the Silkie chicks we raise. But I can not control what hatches once they are released to the Post Office.

Remember, it takes thought and consideration when breeding these guys. Keep good records to be able to trace back what worked and what didn't. It is not recommended that we breed paint to paint at this time.

I am TN NPIP certified.

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Do you have pics of the rest of your breeders for paint?

3. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Dad
    [​IMG]

One of three possible Moms
    [​IMG]

Second possilbe Mom
    [​IMG]

Older paint pullet
    [​IMG]

Most recent paint chick
    [​IMG]

It rained here today, the girls are making the best use of the mud by rooting and rolling around in it. The third one is a wreck.

4. squig2

squig2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    michigan
    i love your rooster

5. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    The cockeral in the first pic is for sale. I don't know how it happened but out of 16 old enough to sex from the paint pens only four were girls. So there are plenty of paint boys here that will need rehoming. I think two are solid, two are almost partridge looking and one is almost a gray. Weird colors in some of these guys.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Robin those are beautiful Ok your tempting me into Paints Stop it your the Voice of Reason .....

7. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Who says I'm the voice of reason? I just sit back and keep quiet until something fires me up.

Shari, you know you want paints. Bet I could pick out a nice boy for you. With your whites you could make some might nice chicks.

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Why shouldn't you breed paint to paint?? Gee, I wish I hadn't promised my husband I wouldn't hatch anymore this year. I'd love to have more paints.

9. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:We've been warned by Sigrid VonDort not to breed paint to paint to lock in the Silkie characteristics. She said that in Europe they been breeding paint to paint for years and its degraded the over all quality of the birds.

I won't mention her name but one breeder decided to breed paint to paint just because she wanted to see what would happen. The birds she used were paints from paint to black breeding. The two paints produced chicks with entirely pink skin. I forgot to ask her if they ever darkened up like they do with the pigment holes most of the time and keep forgetting.

Many of mine are paints from paint to white breeding. No pigment holes at all in that combination. Once I have a pair old enough I'll breed two paints from the combination to see what happens.

Paint is a work in progress. There is a lot that is not understood. Like why pink skin when both parents had dark? How to lose the champagne color in the hackles.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Thank you for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by